Longest USB cable with Elite

LMSFan72

The USB 2.0 specification limits USB cable length to 5 metres. This is a technical limitation as the length is defined by the 26ns (nano second) propagation time delay of reflected signals. If you want to exceed this 5 metre limit, then you need an active solution.

Want to know more, then click the link:

http://www.yourcablestore.com/USB-Cable-Length-Limitations-And-How-To-Break-Them_ep_42-1.html

USB 2.0 max length is 5 metres or roughly 16 ft 5 inches

USB 3.0 is generally, for now, recommended to be no more than 3 metres

While repeaters CAN be used they are much of a muchness and depend upon the wiring in the cable being utilised. Why? Well, you may be surprised by this... but not all USB 2.0 spec. cables are wired exactly the same way. Different manufacturers leave pins unconnected where they believe the cable will only be used for specific equipment. So if you buy a mobile phone for example and then plug that cable into your eLink the chances are there will be a problem as not all pins are wired in mobile phone cables. You'll be hard pressed to find this info on websites as manufacturers don't want this published too widely... but folk are catching on... slowly!

Remember the debate a while back about changing cables to test the eLink and Elite under the then new Windows 10? Well, swapping USB cables is not as simple as you think... it SHOULD be... but it isn't.

This is also why some USB 3.0 spec. cables will not be backward compatible, as they SHOULD be (again), with USB 2 sockets.

As usual, it doesn't work that the more expensive cable will have all pinouts connected either. The cable from our far east friends are worst for this... build it at low cost at all times with the barest materials and then hope you want another because the first didn't quite do its job or was 'damaged' and isn't worth sending back at £2 a time.

Hubs are just about the same in terms of adding cables for length as the figures I offer above but some powered hubs can offer a little more - but no more than a little.

I have a 50 foot usb cable, that enables me to reach my layout from the Router. Whilst i dont use it all the time. it connects to the internet, with no prpblem. My wife is the problem, in that she objects to it being surface run from the office, up the stairs, along the landing, through her quilting room , and my fishing room, to reach the layout. john

You'll know, John, hopefully, that these numbers are guidelines only and can be surpassed by cables at different lengths.

What SHOULD be said really is that if one gets a performance better than the lengths suggested then that is merely a bonus and nothing more.

Basically the same as Ethernet cable... 100 metres and that's it without a repeater. Signal degredation occurs in ALL cable no matter what it is and it depends upon differing circumstances... like other cable near or very close to the one being measured will alter the signal strength.

Archived