Elite 1.43 Firmware

Guest Chrissaf

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And these are the changes:

ELITE V1.43 firmware included the following changes over V1.42  December 2016 

XpressNet response fix: When the Elite resumes operation from emergency off, the command station status is now correctly reported. (XpressNet.) 

Bug fix in TTS decoder CV programming and reading in service mode. Direct Mode read back issues re CV152 on TTS decoders. Now corrected. 

Quicker response of communication with Walkabout Select controller. 

Add a new feature: When other hand controllers are controlling the loco which is on Elite screen, the control information on the screen such as speed, direction and functions responds the loco real time control information. 

Edit - this means with RM as well (Rob)

Add a new feature of main track programming for accessory decoder. if accessory decoder supports RailCom, the new feature also supports CV read back in main track.

@fishy

Theres not much on a Select screen to update, but it works the other way round to the Elite. Shame it can't motor the Select knob round to match so there is always that difference on take back to watch out for. Certainly the comms lag that could be there has gone.

It also works Elite to RM and back as previously it was only one way. I doubt the comms are smart enough to feed Walkabout via Elite into RM and back though.

It will be interesting to see if there is a difference between Elite and eLink CV reading now with RM.

I dont see the advantage of the last one as R8247 isnt Railcom capable as far as I know, but I suppose if its in NMRA spec somewhere it has to be incorporated to keep the Elite certifed warrant status.

Rob

Thanks Rob, good points.  And that difference in operation of the Select throttle is one of the reasons my Select is in the bottom drawer, at least until I find out which bottom drawer again and send it to John.

And on John doing the update, I'm pretty sure we all know he will be at the tail end of the queue of early adopters given his very prudent attitude to such things.  My tongue was firmly in my cheek in saying so above.

John is like me in terms of 'if it ain't broke....' but I am considering this latest Elite update as it seems to have some benefits, especially when using with the Select.  My Elite is still at v1.41, having passed on the v1.42 update.

The extra feedback to RM may be a useful "nice to have" for me. But I shall let Rob be the guinea pig first before rushing in headlong. Albeit, that I could downgrade back to 1.42 if I needed to as I have the previous 1.42 NEW installer archived on the PC. If Rob confirms improvements in CV reading, then that will be the clincher to adoption of the new 1.43 version for me at least.

Update installed on two Elites, no problem with the installer. HP laptop i7. both Elites on com3 and installer set to Type 2. Install time 2:10 and 2:20. One was run as Admin and the other as User. Both worked.

Both Elites booted into Standard Mode after the update, which is what they were in before the update and both reset into Classic Mode, thus requiring mode change after reset.

Dont have time to check out CV reading or interface with RM as I am out for the rest of the morning, but I will report back this afternoon.

IF anyone installs v1.43 and needs to revert to an earlier version you can find them from my signature link, but remeber those before v1.42 use the old installer so can hiccough on Win 8/10.

Rob

Both Elites booted into Standard Mode after the update, which is what they were in before the update and both reset into Classic Mode, thus requiring mode change after reset.

I'm beginning to think that "resetting switches to Classic mode" is an intentional feature. Am I right in thinking that most people use Standard mode? Perhaps Hornby can explain why Classic mode is chosen?

Ray.

Thought I'd have a go at this update but get this message. I have switched Elite off and on again - and it is connected to the USB port I have specified. I get the same message no matter which PC type I attempt to use. R-

/media/tinymce_upload/5ae9e7754704ba774ad97e5b72f71e59.JPG

does it work in classic mode, and if so, whats the difference. john

Hi John,

This is what the Elite manual says:-

"Classic operating mode

Under certain circumstances it may be necessary to switch to the Classic mode in order for the Elite to operate effectively with older versions of the Hornby R8215 decoder.

The Classic mode incorporates features that have been built into the firmware to accommodate possible factors that may lead to decoder resets when powering up the Elite.

The Classic mode also amends the Point address mapping incompatibility when the Select v1.1 is connected and used as a ‘Walkabout’. This only applies to the v1.1 or later. Note: Select v1.0 does not exhibit any Point address mapping issues when used as a "walkabout."

This operating mode does not fully support PC layout control applications e.g. Hornby RailMaster."

The important bit is about point addressing. If I reset my Elite but forget to switch it from Classic back to Standard mode, then when I click on a point to switch it, either nothing happens or the wrong point changes ☹️.

Ray.

Thought I'd have a go at this update but get this message. I have switched Elite off and on again - and it is connected to the USB port I have specified. R-

/media/tinymce_upload/5ae9e7754704ba774ad97e5b72f71e59.JPG

I think you may have missed out this stage:-

Start ELITE in “upload mode” and Connect to your PC.. With the ELITE unpowered.. Hold the "STOP" button and plug the power cable in, keep holding the "STOP" button for 15 seconds. Release the "STOP" button and wait for 15 seconds. Plug in the USB cable and wait for 15 seconds.

Pull out both the power and USB cables before you start then follow these instructions. This sets the Elite ready to receive the upgrade. It caught me out too....

Ray

I've been having a play with the CV reading and writing bit and its solid both using the Elite standalone in either Service Mode (prog track reading and writing) or Operations Mode (read back on the main). The RM read in particular was good as there were no Error - try again squawks. Previously I would get several retries.

Throttle feedback and forth twixt Elite and RM seems to work.

I have reported in the Unit reset into Classic mode and there may be a stealth fix (RM style). I'll let you know.

@RogB - the waiting time is as important as anything else when setting the Elite up for update. I use 20 seconds between all stages including with the red button pressed before I plug the power in just in case its draining a capacitor somewhere. Any comm error usually means you have tried to hurry it along a bit.

Also remember if you do get such an error you have to go back to square 1.

Thanks, Rob. I think I hurried myself along a bit too fast to be honest and completely forgot about the "set-up to update" bit. Once Ray pointed me in the right direction with that all was well.

I put it down to not being able to find my glasses.

R-

I think that must have changed yesterday Rob. That is where I got my download from. R-

EDIT:

Sorry, my mistake - the Help & Advice > Hornby DCC Guide download does indeed link to 1.42. However, the Help & Advice > Downloads page has the correct link - that is where I got the update yesterday.

Confusing isn't it?

R-

I have reported it to Adam Rog but of course Hornby will be heading for the door shortly until after the holidays so it probably wont be fixed, but I thought flagging it on here may prevent any confusion should people trip over the wrong one.

As an aside:

I wonder if anyone has found the feedback when using the Elite in RM is a bit sensitive or is it just my laptop.

If you control a loco in RM then pickup at the Elite knob the rate dependancy seems to be a bit quick. Previously you had to spin the knob to get any response, turning it slowly didnt achieve much, but it does now on my rig.

Rob

I performed the 1.43 update this morning, these are my feedback comments:

• Update completed first time in 3 minutes 15 secs, using PC Type 2.
  • Elite rebooted in Standard Mode not Classic.
  • Elite feedback into RM. Throttle and Direction OK. I did however find that using the Elite Function button control was only synchronised to the small throttle. The changes were not reflected in the associated large throttle.
  • CV Reading was significantly improved. I have previously posted on the issues of reading the CVs on my Loksound V4 decoders. The 1.43 firmware read my Loksound correctly without issue (Note: I had taken my PowerPax programming booster out of the programming circuit for this test).

Overall, most impressed with this new Elite Firmware.

PS - Rob, I didn't find the Elite throttle feedback overly sensitive.

Archived