Elite 1.43 Firmware

Guest Chrissaf

That was nerve wracking, but I managed the update.

While trying it out, I saw the second small throttle mirroring the Elite, but not the large throttle.

I had abit of trouble with RM not working in sync with Elite, so I closed it down. On reopening it, I receved the offer to update RM to 1.65.

The first thing apparent is that both large throttles mirror the Elite.

Well done, those guys.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I updated my two elite Controllers to 1.43 last night all done in under 10 minutes  

took me longer to disconnect and reconnect the wires and doing the actual updates .  

this is the first time I have not had to use Windows XP to perform an elite update

it worked no problem on Windows 10 with my HP Spectre x360 i7 usb 3.0 laptop

I used  PC type 2  for one and type 3  all the other didn't really seem to make any difference  in the time it took both very quick.

I will find the new features with the handheld controller very useful

well done Hornby 

Now then, for all you computer geeks. the machine in which RM runs my layout, and Elite, is french, and as RAF knows, bears little resemblance to uk version of windows 7.  My intention, having 2 Elites, was to update the earlier. 3.1, on my desktop, which is english windows 7, but reading Chrisses long post on another topic, he makes reference to the computer which runs RM. My understanding was that it was the Elite that we were updating,  and had nothing to do with any computer.  So, can i simply plug into my downstairs desktop to do it, as disaster looms with windows, en francais. john

You need a computer to do the Elite firmware update and that computer needs the Elite software driver on it to allow the firmware updater to communicate with the Elite. The Elite software driver is already installed on the PC that runs Railmaster else RailMaster wouldn't work, therefore that makes it easier. If you use a different PC, then you will need to install the Elite software driver on the different PC first before you can proceed to perform the firmware update.

John

Pas de probleme. Nous sommes arrive au secours.

The Elite will update on any pc so take it to where the internet is and you can still reach the wine bottle. DOwnload to a USB stick if you want.

Download the Elite v1.43 update and run it - no need for Admin rights or any such stuff.

The extract may ask where you want to save, just agree with it then run it from there

If Windows baulks saying this is dangerous, etc click on more info and say run anyway. Some Windows try to get you  to bail out but sidestep as necessary.

Now go through the Elite update ritual precisely and I mean precisely thus:

Press the red stop button and wait 20 seconds before plugging in the Elite power lead, keeping the red button pressed with your third hand.

release the stop button and wait again  (wait from here on means another 20 seconds).

Now plug in the USB cable to a port that you already know the number of. If in doubt open La Francais version of Device Manager and watch the ports bit as you plug it in or out.

Wait,... then execute the Elite updater.

It should open a dialogue and you confirm the Com port number the Elite is on then select pc Type 1 in your case for starters 

A progress bar will show and if it all happens within 2-5 minutes pour some more wine. If it takes longer, a lot longer then I picked the wrong pc type for you and you should use type 2 next time. If tardy then pour more wine as it may take up to an hour, but it will complete.

If you get a dialogue that talks to "cant find the comms, etc" then you didnt accord with the 20 second rule and will have to start again.

If we got it right then it will say finished and the Elite will reboot. Take note of which mode it boots into in case you have to change it later to Standard mode. Menu>Unit> Mode>Standard.

By now the wine should be well down in the bottle and you will either be happy it worked or couldnt really care.

Let me know if it worked.

Rob

RAF's instructions assume that the downstairs W7 desktop has detected the Elite being connected and installed the Elite software driver using 'Plug n Play'. When you plug in the Elite USB look out for any messages relating to installing drivers. If you have ever connected an Elite to this downstairs W7 desktop in the past, then the drivers have most likely already been installed and RAF's instructions are good to go.

Hi Chris, thanks for  mentionning that. Elite, is not allowed downstairs as not house trained, so  has never met my desktop. Looks like i might need a second bottle of burgundy red for courage. Thank heavens i have 2 Elites, and can wait until village kids have been and gone. john

For anybody requiring the detailed 'step by step' instructions for performing the Elite 1.43 firmware upgrade on a W7, W8x, W10 PC as alluded to by John above (2nd post down). Then they are on this thread (third up from the bottom).

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/running-the-eureka-3801-on-the-elite/?p=1

Note however, that the instructions on that page were written for a user who has RailMaster. If you do not have RailMaster, and you have never updated your Elite firmware before. Then you will need to let 'Plug n Play' on W7 and above install the Elite USB driver first. If you have Win XP or Vista, then follow the appropriate driver installation guide in the documentation contained within the downloaded ZIP file. You can then follow my written instructions once the Elite USB driver is installed.

John, just to confirm you have 2 clear choices on how to do this.  First is you can take the Elite downstairs, download the firmware updater, install the driver downstairs and do the update there.  Simpler as tout en anglais but more complicated as you have to load the driver and make sure you are on the correct com port with it.  But the instructions for the driver install are with the download and you have a link to the complete and foolproof firmware update instructions.

Second choice is downstairs you download or copy the zip file onto a USB stick and take it upstairs where the driver is already installed and on the correct com port.  Then just run the foolproof installer by opening the zip file and double clicking the installer file by name as above.  This cannot affect anything else on you laptop so RM will still be fine.

Save one bottle of burgundy for celebrations and congratulations at how well you went.

I think that continues the 100% success rate reported here across all Windows versions, failures are a thing of the past.  Hornby will be ditching the old PCs they used to keep for those who couldn't do it for themselves as they'll b able to do the very odd one that comes there way with any and every machine in the office.

Just updated my Elite to 1.43 on an upto date PC running windows 10, hardest part was putting the Elite into update mode!

Is ther no memory left on the Elite to at least fill in one of the columns with some black dots to signal that it is indeed in update mode?

Thanks Rob.  Unfortunately not surprised. Haven't done 1.43 yet but when I did 1.41 I remember taking some time to figure out what Update mode was supposed to be as it wasn't obvious from the documentation that it was achieved by starting up with the delays.

Archived