Elite 1.43 Firmware

Guest Chrissaf

Finally got up off my good intentions and went up to the loft. Installed v1.43 update, with no hassle.( which is very unusual for me ). Elite booted up in Standard mode. As others have already said , Hornby need to delete "start elite in upload mode " . Confused me on the last update.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that my problems were/are a tad self inflicted, having RM/ Elite working on French windows. Because the system is so different, coupled with minus 8, on the face of it, it seemed easier to work downstairs, and a lot of time wasted getting driver into Com 3. Thanks to Chriss/ Fishy i have at least accomplished that, by putting file on desktop and then windows found it.  I will in due course . bite the bullet and try again. Watch this space. Thanks to all those who have helped so far. You wait till i update RM, could be a good time to take holidays. john

... we are confused enough, without trying to find a non existant mode ...

Agreed John, see my post on page 6 of this thread with the picture showing the relevant page in the Hornby Instructions, because I was puzzled by the mode being described.  Following the instructions that Chrissaf has posted above will sort you out.  Brave statement I know!  You must do everything exactly as described.

If you had done as I had first suggested John, you could have been finished and back downstairs now sipping a brandy, warm in the knowledge that when the weather perks up a bit you can happily play trains at v1.43 and v1.65.

Rob

RAF, now just hang on a minute, who said anything about me updating to 1.65. today. That really does mean sitting in minus 8..  I would imagine tis a shade warmer in Cyprus. As for sipping brandy, its only use here is in heathers xmas pudding. A Bailys, peur tete.  And if it comes back to life, whenever my courage returns, may be a vintage port. I have yet to get permission from Heather to be allowed to try again. She does not take kindly to bad language, when in her view, if if was not broke. john.

Same principle to be adopted for both Elite and RM John, download in the warm onto a memory stick and install in the cold straight from those files. The RM update can't possibly go wrong. Just right click the .exe file, pick run it as Admin and it does it, no need even to have RM running, just follow the instructions as they appear.

I'm sure Heather will let you have one more go at mending it, even though it weren't broke to start with, and maybe you can say it was caused by a lack of alcohol in the Xmas pud in the first place or you were distracted by the bad weather or any other reasonable excuse.

And yes it is a tad warmer in Cyprus - we are sweating it out at 12 Deg C and steady rain.

Rob

Not trying to confuse you John but Update mode certainly exists and is engaged by connecting power to the Elite holding the stop button for 15 seconds etc, exactly, I mean exactly, as per the instructions.  This is the only way to engage it and the update will fail if you don't, as you already know.  You can't find Update mode in the Elite menus as you can Standard and Classic modes.

The references to 'Update Mode' deletions and confusions in recent replies in this thread relate to a previous discussion where some forum members found the Hornby instructions confusing. The circled red text in the image below was taken by some to read "Start the Elite in upload mode then perform the actions below". Some users didn't realise that the actions below the red text line WERE the instructions for starting the Elite in upload mode. Hence the looking for a non existent mode comment. Thus, members were suggesting that the red text line should be deleted or modified to remove this possibility of future confusion.

/media/tinymce_upload/68d87d9c20f41a9b7d0265f2c12eb33b.jpg

As i know so many of you, are waiting with bated breath for next instalment. i must advise that finally, update has worked. Nothing like the 2-4 minutes, though, nearly 8 mins, but i put that down to the internet speed in rural france. Many thanks for the  help and advice. Clearly doing it on an english windows which had RM, would have been easier,  and  as and when cold will allow will investigate my french machine further. john

No celebrations allowed, still in long term penitence for having the affrontary to attempt to upgrade something that ( there was nothing wrong with in the first place, you have no one to blame but yourself., dont ask me for any help), you get the idea. Not a good step, to marry a Redhead.  Going to cost me a day at the sales on weds, plus, plus, plus. john

RDS, have not got that far yet. Its still downstairs. Not into minus 8, and minus 10, on the way. My sales day will be spent, literally, bag carrying, paying for, and  trying to find where the good books are kept, that i can get back into. thanks. john

Well done John, I knew you could do it.  And it's only taken us 5 pages of thread to help you get there.  This was one where reading the manual was essential, at least Chris 's reproduction of the manual on here plus comments. And there were only 2 tricky bits, driver installation and Ipdate mode.  You'll have 1.44 installed in a trice, as you have the driver installed downstairs now, doesn't need to be done again, and Update mode is a doddle when you know how to do it.

Fishy, hi, there is nowt wrong with caution pasonified ( or similar), bank loved managers that were not risk takers. Took me 26 years to decide to get married, today being our 47th wedding anniversary, suggests i was vindicated to wait. john

Archived