Elite 1.43 Firmware

Guest Chrissaf

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have an original Elite that I've maybe used for only about an hour or two. I recently tried to use it and it was 'dead', but Hornby kindly offered to fix it for me, no charge.

I'm now getting into the hobby more seriously and have started upgrading some dcc modules to sound and had intended to use the old original Hornby R8215's in the dummy coaches solely for lighting. However, I can't program any of these, which I understand is down to the Elite software, V1.42?

1) Does the later V1.43 fix this issue?

2) I'm very familiar with Linux but haven't used Windows for many years. Are there detailed guidlines, somewehere,  on how to upgrade my Elite to V1.43 and is Windows the only option? I don't want to 'brick' it again!

Hi BlightyExPat

Welcome to the Forum.

This thread contains all the advice you need to update your Elite from v1.42 to v1.43.  In particular look out for posts by Chrissaf, who goes into a lot of detail on how to do it.

I was not aware of a problem with programming the R8215 though and although my Elite (until recently) was v1.41, I programmed many R8215's.

Just to add, The firmware installer is written only for Windows..... any version from XP and later.

Re item 2) detailed instructions, just read the previous pages of this very thread. The Windows Firmware upgrade instructions are all there in great detail.

........R8215's in the dummy coaches solely for lighting. However, I can't program any of these.......

It may be that they are not accepting programming because there is no motor load attached to the decoder. Some (probably most) decoders require a motor load to be present when programming.

Hello Chrissaf. No, I have a three car Backman 189, motor in centre. I have to fit the main sound decoder in either front or rear as there's no space in the centre unit, and just have the R8215 for the centre for motor control. That won't accept any data from the Elite, either.

RDS, I'm sure I saw a comment on the R8215/Elite V1.42 issue elsewhere in this forum, even possibly in this particular posting. I programmed my new sound decoder, first time, but NONE of my R2215's will accept data.

Blighty, can you run the 189 via the 8215 using its default 03 address, or is it completely non-functioning?

Also, 8215s are known to be unreliable and prone to losing their allocated address and resetting to default 03, so this is likely to be an ongoing problem.

I'd give consideration to ditching the 8215s, although nothing wrong with using them while they function I suppose.  And for the 189, you could mount the sound decoder fore or aft then run intercoach wiring to the decoder to get middle unit pickup connections to it along with what it has, then wiring back to the middle for motor control and through to the other end for lights.  There are standard connectors you can use for this.

Fishmanoz, now you mention it, I did try a brand new (old, but still in it's original box) 8215 and it worked as the default 003 in the centre unit of the 189.

I'm not very keen on upgrading the firmware on the Elite after my experience so I might do as you suggest and just replace the few 8215's I have for the new version.

I originally tried running miniature wires to interlink but I would much prefer to just fit a cheap decoder. If I have three units, one with the sound and two to control directional lighting, am I right in assuming there are no problems programming all three with the same address?

Blighty,

Hornby have rewritten the Elite Firmware updater (1.43 firmware uses the new updater). So far, the new 1.43 updater seems to be 'bullet proof' reliable. Nobody has had a reported failure to update yet. Of course, you do need to follow the instructions absolutely to the letter.

As I have said earlier in this thread. I had issues reading Loksound V4 decoder CVs. This new Elite 1.43 firmware, based upon initial testing, seems to have resolved them.

Archived