RM v1.65 Available

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

An update on my freezing issue.

I am running XP professional and have tried 1.65 aand 1.64 with the same result, what I have found if I select the Loco setup radio button as soon as the icon becomes available this opens and as long as it is open railmaster works correctly. as soon as I close Loco setup Railmaster freezes and I have to power off the PC holding the power button and re-start the PC.

As I am using this PC for Railmaster only I have re-loaded Windows XP SP3 IE8 and PDF reader and AVG Free plus Railmaster only, wondering if XP Pro and Railmaster do not like each other?

Any of your expert thoughts will be well received.

Best Regards Malcolm.

RailMaster works 100% with Windows XP, indeed as it does with all versions of Windows since so that is not the issue.  Something is happening on your particular set-up to cause this and it could be a number of things.

The most likely reason is that the program is corrupted and needs to be installed again.  We believe you have been in email contact with us and we have advised this albeit as an over-install (not uninstalling RailMaster first).  Perhaps now it is time to completely uninstall RailMaster to do a fresh installation from scratch just in case a corrupted DLL or other key file is not being updated during an over-installation.

You may want to save any locos and track plans you have set up and you can do this by following the instructions in the RailMaster PDF guide on your Windows desktop.

Since your RailMaster freezes upon start we are assuming that you have not been able to activate it.  If you have managed to activate at any point you should deactivate it, again, by following the instructions in the guide under "Deactivating".  If you are unable to do that it can be done later using the key reset request form in the software.

When you have done that you can go into the Windows start menu, then into the RailMaster folder and choose the Uninstall option.  Go through that.  To be sure that everything has been removed use Windows explorer (My Computer) to navigate to the C:Program Files (x86)RailMaster folder and delete the entire RailMaster folder (if present).  You can then reinstall by downloading and running the latest setup file at www.rail-master.com/rm_setup.exe

Remember that you then need to add RailMaster as a full exception to your antivirius and firewall software and set it to run with administrator rights as per the Internet Security PDF guide on your Windows desktop.  While you're at it set permissions to Full for all users when you are in the icon properties for the program (Security tab).

If it still freezes after doing a completely new installation then we would suggest that there is something fundamentally wrong on your Windows system.  In that case we can remotely log into your computer and do a trace on the program as it is running to give us a better idea of what it is trying to do at the point it freezes and see if we can resolve it.

@Kaimaumau

You should consider the fact that XP is too old an OS and will not properly support the updated antivirus programs, free or not. The engines these now use are beyond even Vista's capabilities as they slow a lot of these laptops etc. down so much it is not worth installing them. Your hardware will make NO difference. Thus the antivirus programs themselves may be the cause of your issue.

RM itself will work, as stated many times, on XP with no problems if your system is otherwise fine.

I would suggest running RM with NO virus support if all you are doing is using the computer to run RM and nothing else.

Running AVG Free on its own is not enough protection anyway. It will ONLY help with most viruses and some trojans but spyware or malware it will definitely not. Viruses are few and far between these days as most attacks are done with spy/malware and trojans.

Take a look at my Help Site for advice on these programs... link at the top of the RM sub forum.

Thanks for your replies guys. I've tried everything I can think of, but the problem still persists.

The RM download page is the only one that I have this problem with.

I use a laptop dedicated to running my model railway. Apart from the operating system (windows 10) there is no other software installed. Defender runs as the anti-virus programme. This laptop has always downloaded RM updates with no problem until now. The web browser is Internet Explorer !!. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Norm

Just in case there is some misunderstanding about exactly what web page you are referring to. We might be thinking of a different one to the one you are referring to. Try this link below. This clickable link is the direct download link for the RailMaster installation file.

http://www.rail-master.com/rm_setup.exe

Clicking the link won't take you to any web page, but should download the file into your nominated download folder on your PC.

I have just tested this link and it works for me.

Even if this link above works for you too, still please post the URL of the web page you are trying to open if it is not the one documented below, so that we can see what page you are referring to. We might then be able to tell you why it doesn't work for you.

I think I can safely say that the download page that WE are all referring to is this one. Is this the same one you are referring to.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/hornby-railmaster/

/media/tinymce_upload/b7f78e1979c7d6551d5282952085f9ee.jpg

Thanks for your reply. When I click the link you supplied a new window opens, pauses for a moment, and the the error "This page cannot be displayed" appears. The same thing happens when I click the link at the top of the RM forum. The download does not start. I hope this helps.

Norm

I've just tried it using Internet Explorer 11 in Win 7, Internet Explorer in Win 10 and Edge in Win 10 and all three browsers works for me. You say you have Windows 10, try using the Win 10 Edge browser.

I suspect that your Internet Explorer 11 web page cache is corrupted and needs deleting.

This web page tells you how to delete the cache and browsing history. I may be wrong, but I feel confident that this is the issue. Deleting cache and history does not destroy any of your important data. If you use 'saved passwords' just make sure the password box is unticked as per the first option in the document.

https://kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=15141

PS - Another TIP.

Go to the forum RailMaster page where the download link is located.

Press the 'Control' and 'F5' keys together. This will force the browser to download a completely fresh version of the page rather than loading the one stored in your browser cache. Control & F5 can sometimes fix broken web pages too. But deleting the cache is the more permanent and preferred fix method.

This tip may not work in your case, because the issue may be with the page at the end of the clickable link rather than the RailMaster forum page.

Thanks Chris.

I've tried the Edge browser but with the same error message as in Explorer. I've also followed the instructions from the link you provided, still the same error. Also Control and F5 makes no difference. I'm wondering if a Windows 10 reset may fix the problem? I'm getting desperate 😆

Norm

I'm stumped then. Before going to the extreme of doing a Windows 10 reset. I will email AC (AugustusCeasar) tonight and ask him to look at this thread. He may be able to offer you a less drastic solution.

regards

Chris

EDIT: I have sent the mail to AC as promised. Please be patient, it is nearly 1 AM in the morning local time this end. AC is UK based as am I.

In addition to the above, I just tried the PowerPos Systems website. I understand this is where RM normally lives. But the result was the same. I'm starting to wonder if the problem is at RM's end. Although no one else appears to be having this problem.

Norm

AusMod, in the meantime whilst waiting for AC (see my edit in previous post) you could try downloading and installing one of the free browsers. Using something different might help, if the issue is with your IE11 & Edge Windows software. There are plenty to choose from Chrome, Opera, Firefox. I have all of these on my PC In this scenario I would tend to favour Opera. It is not an overly complicated or sophisticated browser so shouldn't rely too much on using any of the PC services in use by the MS browsers. Being basic, it is more likely to get through to the troublesome download link. At least if that works, it infers the issue is something to do with your IE11 and Edge windows set up.

One final thought for the night.

When you followed the instructions for deleting the cache in the link I provided. I take it that you did UNTICK the top option in the list as instructed in the instructions. If you left that option ticked then you didn't delete the cache. I had this thought because unticking the box would seem counter intuitive, when the other option boxes are ticked.

Although not instructed to, I would also tick the 'History' & 'Download History' boxes as well.

PS - I'm going off line now for the night. I will check in to this thread in the morning to see if there are any developments.

@AusMod

After receiving an email from Chris about your problem I would suggest DO NOT reset Windows or reinstall under any circumstance at this point. It is a solution but a very long one and can be sorted without resorting to that method.

Have you tried checking your browser for popups being blocked? Not really a first option but things need eliminating first... try it.

As you have tried IE and Edge (neither are the best for Windows 10 from a personal point of view) I would suggest Firefox (my personal choice) or even Opera before Chrome which is nothing but legit spyware in my view... :-).

OK... let's build a picture... you click the link in these browsers and get a page not found error each time. You've cleared the cache files as per Chris's instructions and there is no difference. Each time a page not found error is annoying you...

I would seriously see if popups are blocked in both browsers options as the download is actually opening a fresh page before offering the download itself. Of course in IE and Edge they both put a panel at the foot of the page with the 'Save' or 'Save As' options. If popups are not blocked the see the popup blocker settings esp. in IE to see if Hornby is listed.

If this fails let me know and we can go to the next step.... I'm going to see if I can replicate the issue to see if I can find a direct fix... it may be an issue with your own machine though which may be sorted as we go... don't do anything drastic just yet.

**EDIT**

I've attempted to replicate this issue by turning off features and deliberately causing some minor faults in the browsers you use and cannot repeat your situation.

All is not lost. I would now suggest running scans with the following programs... Malwarebytes and SpyBot... if you have them already the great but you can simply do a search for them via your engine and always get both free versions. There may be something on your PC/laptop that may be blocking popups altogether. This is usually spyware as opposed to a malware or a virus or trojan.

See my Help Site for install and download instructions and how to use them... link at the top of this sub-forum. Again let us know...

Chris and AC thanks heaps for all your time and trouble. Especially so late in the UK, I'm in Western Australia as you may have guessed.

Chris, I've followed all your suggestions, but still no luck. I still get the same error. I have installed both Opera and Firefox both of which produce the same error. Opera did display a message as follows:

This site can’t be reached

www.rail-master.com’s DNS address could not be found.

I'm not very sure I understand what this means.

Now all browsers (Internet Explorer, Edge, Opera and Firefox) are all producing the error.

AC, I have followed your advice and installed Malwarebites and Spybot. As far as I can tell after a long scan, nothing untoward seems to have been found. Popups are not blocked in IE as I used it to download the two programmes without any problem. I also have a desktop computer and have tried downloading RM from the link on this forum. This gave the same result as the laptop.

I can't think of any changes I've made to the laptop that might have caused this problrm. It's always workrd in the past. could there be a clue in the fact that both computers fail the download?

Regards

Norm

I just downloaded RM in Edge on Win10 this morning without any problem.

I have had the error 404 page on occassion and found it was my MiFi dongle internet connection losing contact with the interworld.

I had the same error myself with another site some time ago.  It was suggested to me that the problem was a DNS server error and I was told how to change it to another one.  It seemed quite complicated at the time and I just left it unchanged.   After a day or two I went back to the site that was giving the error and got on to it OK.

I'm not a computer expert but hope the above might help.

Archived