TTS Decoders.

WilliamDavid

at Rails of Sheffield they say the 2017 range ones are pre-order and the the picture is the stock Hornby one whilst the others are stripped out as the ref numbers are RxyzzTTSchips and the picture shows a photocopy of the leaflt/manual for It.

Rails obviously buy large stocks from Hornby........it is more profitable for them to separate a number of TTS decoders from the locos and sell both separately.........e.g.......the RR class 47 TTS  sells for £59.50, when decoder removed it sells for £39.50 and the TTS decoder is also £39.50.......an increased sale value of £20......simples..........if you can't wait for pre-order TTS decoders, get one of these...... 😀........HB.

William, what you are overlooking is that despite popular belief, there is life after DCC. I dont know the percentage, but would imagine. its about  30%. of you that run DCC. That leaves a fearful amount of people, running DC, only, and very happy with DCC ready locos, having no intention of   changing to DCC, in the near future. It also makes the locos very competatively priced, judging by the prices of Rails locos, with decoders removed.  Add to that, the demand for TTS, chips, by guys like yourself,  Rails are winning all the way to the bank. by making everybody happy.. They have spotted a gap in the market, and are suplying the TTS decoders separately,, that currently, Hornby, have not launched.  All power to their marketing team. john

I wouldn't call it marketing skills to sell those decoders after being stripped from locos.

I'd call it exploitation. Rather strong maybe but I don't believe that's the intention of Hornby when the models are made. What if someone wants a TTS loco and there's none around and Rails do this to their stock?

Anyway... the practice will be pointless when the Hornby batches are released.

Rather breaks the spirit of selling a loco with sound.... and they should know better.

Yes, it fills a niche but not in the way it should be. Good on Hornby to start selling these things on their own.

Describing the decoders on eBay as 'NEW' is also wrong. They are classed as second hand, unused.

AC, i think Hornby, are  in full knowledge of what is going on. After all, its all sales to them, and its clearing stocks. If they objected, they could cease supply. Peter spares, are on same bandwagon. This may be why Hornby have started producing, individual ones, for all we know. I totally agree, they are not in effect new. john

I'm sure Hornby are well aware, as you say, of what is happening. I don't argue with that...

... it's just not really very gentlemanly if you think about it. Just businesses trying to make a penny by not exactly breaking the rules but twisting them slightly to suit themselves. :-) I can't disagree too much with it I think because if we had the opportunity to do that we probably would... but still...

It's not just Rails. No names but there are several ebay sellers doing exactely the same. Removing the sound from a class 43 and selling the chip and loco seperately seems to be the most common. I don't have strong opinions on the subject but the practice could devalue a brand image.

Roy

Roy, i had seen those and prices vary. Hornby, of course would have no way of stopping this as opposed to their dealers, who they could influence. I  , have no problem with any of this, as until hornby announced their intention to supply, twas the only way to obtain them, and cheaper than some other makes.  People will always find a way to increase supply of  a product, highly in demand. john

The actual problem with all this arises when a customer asks for a particular model they've saved their hard earned pennies for and find that some person has bought several models from one place and weathered them or stripped them and sold them for more money.

Not strictly an illegal practice, but slightly immoral, as the item should not be sold for more than the manufacturer RRP.

But, having said that, a sellers argument is that the item is bought new, not used, decided it is not wanted and is stripped down to sell which makes money for them. So, then not absolutely illegal in law.

Frankly, it is the main reason I have a gripe with this practice... stopping folk who want the ORIGINAL release of a loco or whatever. A new release of one last year I couldn't get hold of and I found tons of them being sold on eBay weathered, or even repainted in new liveries... mad. :-)

• 8 months later...

Archived