Elite USB

Jonny5salive

Hi

I do not know the official reason why a USB cable is not included and I know I had to buy one separately myself but my assumption at the time was that not everyone would want one and if I remember correctly, when I bought a printer that needed the same cable, that did not come with one either.

If when using just the Elite on its own i.e. not with RailMaster. The only need for a USB lead is to perform firmware upgrades. These upgrades being chronologically very few and far between.

If Hornby included a USB lead in the box, this forum would be inundated with 'What's this USB lead for' type posts. It makes perfect sense not to include one. There is a USB lead in the eLink box, because you can't use the eLink without it being connected to a computer. Horses for courses.

Some USB cables, as I have stated before, are not wired in entirely the same way (i.e. all USB 2.0 cables). Some strands are missing from some cables deliberately while others include them (you'd be hard pressed to be unlucky enough to have this scenario but it does happen). Some include shielding while others do not. Some USB 3.0 cables are NOT backward compatible with USB 2.0 cables or sockets as they should be.

One of the many reasons they are not included because different manufacturers and suppliers cannot guarantee the same cable each time will be supplied with the item sold.

Cables have not been sold with printers for many years now.

It is far simpler to not include them and takes a couple of pounds off the price of the equipment sold... in theory at least.

With the eLink, as Chrissaf points out, it is essential to include one.

Archived