how to find out what DCC chip I have

olly

can you find out what DCC chip I have with an hornby elite ?

will it tell me by reading the CVs if so with one ?

I have a few DCC chips that I had removed from old locomotives before selling them and want to know what version they are  .I know they are Hornby but I'm not sure which one 

want to know so i can fined the instruction manual 

The manufacturer code is in CV8. For Hornby, the CV decimal value is 48.

The other manufacturer codes are in this NMRA document.

The decoder version number is in CV7. For the Hornby R8249, the decimal value is 13.

There aren't that many Hornby decoders to choose from and in the main they have different physical characteristics that make them stand out from each other. If all the decoders are Hornby as you say, it shouldn't be a very difficult task to identify them just by their physical appearance.

Failing that, look up the various Hornby decoder datasheets and look at the CV7 value.

See also this Hornby web page (scroll down for the loco decoders):

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/downloads/view/index/cat/3/

Do they have paint spots on them? This is usually the easiest way of finding out.

I have three with red spots on them and three with nothing on them . I seem to remember something About the different colored spots on hornby decoders can't remember what difference it makes?

The manufacturer code is in CV8. For Hornby, the CV decimal value is 48.

The other manufacturer codes are in this NMRA document.

The decoder version number is in CV7. For the Hornby R8249, the decimal value is 13.

There aren't that many Hornby decoders to choose from and in the main they have different physical characteristics that make them stand out from each other. If all the decoders are Hornby as you say, it shouldn't be a very difficult task to identify them just by their physical appearance.

Failing that, look up the various Hornby decoder datasheets and look at the CV7 value.

See also this Hornby web page (scroll down for the loco decoders):

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/downloads/view/index/cat/3/

I can't get my elite to read CV 7 it shows xxx . I'm sure they are R8249 decoders  

As far as I am aware, the older ones have either a White Spot or no Spot, on the Main Chip and I think they were the R8215 model number.  The newer (current) ones are R8249.

they could be the R8215 RDS I've had them a few years . where do I find the instructions for the R8215 ? this site only has the R8249  

Before you can write a four digit adress you need to tell CV29 you want to do that.

simplest way is if  you dont alredy run RM is to download the demo version from the RM page link and read the CVs using that.

CV7 and 8 tell of the manufacturer and the decoder.

spotty decoders are invariably early R8215 iterations, red, yellow, white, blue and in my opinion best lobbed in the bin as they were prone to losing their memory, running away and various other anomalies.  I dont even use them to control coacjh lighting as they can fall over On that simple task.

@raf

On my Elite there is no need to program CV29 first when giving a 4 digit address.  The Elite knows that CV 29 needs setting and does it automatically.  Maybe you need to program CV29 first if the Elite is being used with Railmaster?

Go to the second top locked thread in the RM forum Setting Up and Getting Started and look at the post on writing loco IDs incl long IDs.  And irrespective, RM or Elite alone, the process is automated in that you select the long ID, follow the instructions and the address is written without need to write separately to CV29 or the two long address CVs, that is all an automatic part of the process.

Nowhere in the thread is RM said to be in use, only an Elite.

I have always set Extended address in Menu>Config before I tried to,write a long address, unless I do it by writing the necessary numbers direct into CVs17/18.

That said the easy way is to use RM Sigma button.

Archived