TTS Sound levels?

MikeJ101

Just to note that if you are using the Hornby Select controller, you will not be able to adjust these CV values. Master volume 1 is the lowest setting (CV182 according to HB's CV list above). Some other users have however commented that even setting 1 is still too loud for them.

Note you will need to review the datasheet included with your TTS model for the correct (equivalent) CV numbers if it is not a Diesel but a Steam TTS loco instead. From memory, I believe the Steam TTS loco Master Volume is CV178, but do check your models documentation.

I have set most of mine down to 1 or 2 but as Chrissaf says above, I still find it on the loud side.

I think the sound settings need to allow for a lower range.

My layout is in a small room at the moment and I don't want to disturbe the rest of the family too much.  Best not even try levels around 8.

If your TTS loco was a very early one it may have a 4 ohm speaker installed which can safely be replaced by an 8 ohm one to damp the volume a tad, else its volume level 1 on those master CVs Chris spoke about above.

If you are confident gaining access to the innards you may wish to seal round the speaker enclosure in particular where the wires come through with some blu/white-tak. This will improve the sound clarity, or you may wish to install a better sugar cube type speaker, which is supposed to improve the sound even more it is claimed.

" or you may wish to install a better sugar cube type speaker, which is supposed to improve the sound even more it is claimed."

I have done just that and can confirm a better sound quality and with CV's 161 & 178 set to 1 a comfortable volume..........HB

/media/tinymce_upload/ef52f5070f276cf0bc4bf05bcef5c05d.jpg

Since Hornby don't make a similar product I suppose it's ok to nominate the supplier of these which is www.YouChoos.co.uk........ 😀...........HB

Thanks for the link. Do you think the sound improvement justifies spending £12.95?I will buy one to try.

To my ears, a great improvement so I bought 2 to justify the postage so works out at £11 each.........the 2nd one is going into Mallard TTS.....HB

Well,well - what a quick response.

I've actually found the sheet with all the setup - it was in the back of the carton that the loco came in.

Thank you all so much for all your advise.

Regarding the control equipment - I have dug out my eLink - which I purchased a while ago. I set it up on my laptop and used it a couple of times and then due to work committments and a poorly wife - I've not used any of it for a long time. Laptop has since been sent off to the great PC pile as it died. When I try to use and register the eLink/Railmaster software it will not register and remains as an evaluation version. After reveiwing various posts on here I've sent an email to Hornby for assistance but not had a reply. How long does it take to get a response?

Once again thanks for everyones help.

Seasons greetings

Mike Jones

I've sent an email to Hornby for assistance but not had a reply. How long does it take to get a response?

MikeJ101,

Did you send it to support@rail-master.com (this is the correct mail address for RailMaster issues including re-activation requests). If you sent it to customercare@hornbyhobbies.com then your issue may possibly not get dealt with, well at least not in a timely manner.

We seem to have several questions running at the same time here.

zimo speakers - I just pulled the info I posted from a Hornby magazine page, but it looks as if they are 8 ohm from you catalogue info HBM.

Mike may be better opening a new topic to discuss his eLink /RM issues. One of us Mods can hive that bit off for you.

2e0, the RM forum has been full of posts over Christmas by HRMS to new users, so I don't think there is a need to wait for business hours.  The incorrect HCC email is what will have caused the delay.

Mike, you can also use the email facility in the Help window of RM to reach them and you will need to give them your licence key, email and address so they can check your original registration.

Archived