Somerset bell. OL.

roebuck73

Hi im new to train sets. My som was bought a sumerset belle train set for christmas. Every time i put the set together (im in the process of mounting the track mat onto a board for him) and run the train its fine but after a while is says OL on the digital controller. I have looked at the track and cant see anything. Hope some one can help.

Thanks

Andy

Welcome to the forum Andy,

OL stands for Over Load, typically a short circuit. I'm assuming that the loco stops at the same time as OL is displayed. The stopping location would be an indicator as to where on the layout the short circuit is occurring. Would it be for example as the loco is traversing a point. Locos shorting on a point is usually more often than not due to the 'back to back' measurement between the inside faces of loco wheels (on one or more axles) being incorrect. For 00 gauge models this measurement should be 14.4mm +/- 0.05mm. To make an accurate measurement, you either need a 00 'back to back' gauge or a digital vernier. There are however other reasons why a short might occur and careful investigation and diagnostics are required to track them down. For example moving the loco very slowly by hand across the suspect location and listening out for the high pitched buzz that you get when a short occurs on a DCC system. Looking carefully at the loco wheels and observing what track parts of a point they are touching etc.

If it is not a short circuit causing OL to be displayed, then it could be a situation where there is a high current being drawn for some reason (maybe a fault with the loco, or running too many locos or accessories from the DCC supply) but not necessarily due to an actual short circuit. As we do not have the benefit of being able to look over your shoulder and observe what is happening, it is difficult to give a hard and fast diagnosis.

If you were to try some of the suggestions made above and come back here with a more detailed report of exactly what is happening and when. Then we may be able to offer some more tailored advice.

Hi Andy and Welcome to the Forum.  

I don't know if you have been able to check the manual for the Select Controller (I am assuming you are using the Select) but they do describe how to check whether it is a Track problem, or a Controller problem.  Please let us know.  If you don't have the instructions, you can view them and print if you wish on this website.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/downloads/view/index/cat/12/

Hi thanks for the quick reply. We are using the original train only. It doesnt do it all the time mainly after the train has been running a while. When we run the train at low speed the train slows even more and struggles through the points. I have checked all the connections. 

Andy

Unlike DC, DCC needs spotlessly clean wheels and track rails. You say you are in the process of putting it all on a board. However if in the meantime you have been laying the track directly onto carpet, then that is potentially a train killer. It will pick up dust, carpet fibres and debris that will clog the wheels, gears and axles (causing drag) and may even wrap round the delicate electrical pickups that brush against the backs of the wheels. These mechanical areas are critical for the smooth running of the loco. In DCC, it is not unusual to need to clean the track and loco wheels even after just a few running sessions.

Just prior to Christmas Hornby produced a 'Hornby Christmas Guide' that includes a section on track and loco cleaning etc. Although the link has now gone, the document is still on this website and can be viewed here.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/hornby-christmas-guide

Also for your consideration. Pending your track being fixed to a board, loose laying track is not ideal. The electrical path between controller and loco is reliant upon the physical track joiners. When track is loose laid, these joiners can move and become intermittent. Loose laid track on a creased track mat, could potentially create a situation where a loco will lose electrical contact traversing points. Others on here have demonstrated many times the need for the points to be laid perfectly flat and secure. However, although that would account for loco hesitation it doesn't account for the controller showing OL.

Archived