Flying Scotsman - Installing TTS

Ben_T

Hello all.

I have searched and searched for an answer to this one, and I know one of you will be able to put your finger on a video or website that will help me.

I have a Hornby Flying Scotsman purchased in March this year and I now want to install a a sounds decoder and speaker. The tender has a cut out in the bottom for the speaker, but I have no idea how to go about getting the connection to the track.

One way I thought of doing it was to use a standard decoder in the engine, and a sound decoder in the tender with the same address, but that still doesn't help me with the connection to the track.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated

Ben

You will already have pickup connections running from tender to the loco via the tender post as part of the standard set up for the loco.  Now of course, you need to run 4 wires for pickups loco to tender and motor wires tender to loco.  There is a standard plug and socket available for this and someone will be along soon with the part numbers, or you could check the service sheet for a TTS loco and they will be on it.  There is no need or is it desirable to run 2 decoders if you want to achieve coordinated movement and sound.  You will have to be able to do some fine soldering.  The neatest way to do it will be to mount a decoder socket in the tender which then is wired back to the one in the loco via the 4 wires plug and socket.

In the RailRoad version, motor is in the engine.......in the SET Version, the motor & 8 pin socket are in the engine..........in the full spec model the motor is in the engine but the 8 pin decoder socket and speaker mount are in the tender.......older versions had a Ringfield motor in the tender.........HB

Hello All,

Thank you for your replies so far.

I don't know the actual R number for the loco but it is the one from the "set" purchased early in 2016. Its not the railroad one.

The motor and decoder socket are both in the loco, not the tender.

Could someone advise what is meant by the tender post, I'm somewhat confused by that!

What I didn't want was to have cables running between the loco and tender, hence my idea to use two decoders. Having said that if that's the best way that's what I'll do.

Ben

Look at the service sheet for a typical DCC Ready FS and you will see the tender has a vertical peg or post that hooks into a flexible drawbar on the loco. This drawbar has two springy fingers that carry current across between the loco and tender.

often these fingers get distorted and can cause a short when the loco goes away from straight ahead.

if you want to retain the decoder in the loco then just extend the TTS speaker wires into the tender if you cant figure out a place for maybe a replacement sugar cube speaker in the loco.

Ah, well if it is the railroad version that would explain a lot. I am surprised though as the detail looks great and I always believed that railroad was a less superior version!

eother way, I have had a good look at the loco and can conf there is no spring on the coupling, no way of the DCC signal passing from loco to tender.

So what is the best way of getting DCC into the tender along with a speaker in this case?

Also, to check we are in fact talking the right FS, do a product not forum search for FS which should bring up the Railroad version including service sheet HSS380.  Is that the model you have?

Clearly there are no tender pickups, unlike the set version I bought a few years back.  Then I also can't see a speaker cutout shown in the tender.

Archived