Using Select to turn on Sound problem

Guest Chrissaf

Andy, welcome to the forum.

It would really help if you were to say what the model number is on the box. I assume it is a Hornby model. AFAIK Hornby weren't producing TTS models 6 years ago. Therefore if it is a Hornby model with factory installed sound the model number should end in XS in the form RnnnnXS. Thus, it would then be a Loksound decoder and F1 is the correct function to turn sound on.

If the model number is in the form RnnnnX, then the model is factory fitted with a NON sound decoder.

If the model number takes the form Rnnnn without an X or an XS (or a T for TTS sound locos), then it was originally a DCC Ready loco and someone must have fitted the decoder as an after market addition (maybe by the retailer that sold it). In that scenario, the model would need to be opened to ascertain if it truly has a sound decoder inside it or not i.e is there a speaker inside and what brand / model the decoder might be.

In general, F1 is the correct function for turning on sound for AFAIK all decoder brands.

Just as an aside and FYI, the Select version 1.1 firmware is now quite old. It only supports functions from F0 to F8. This will limit what you can do with a sound equipped loco as sound locos can have sounds allocated to functions from F9 up to typically F17 as well as F1 to F8.

Select firmware 1.5 supports these higher function numbers, but can only be upgraded by Hornby. For Selects out of Warranty and more than 12 months old, there is a one off charge for the upgrade. £15 pounds Sterling plus your cost to send the controller to Hornby. Hornby pay the return shipping charges. I am assuming that these Hornby charges are the same worldwide as they are in the UK.

We are located in Canada, far from any Hornby dealer. My son has a Hornby layout with DCC and a Select controller, version 1.1 (the numbers that show on startup are 11, 30, 03) that was purchased about 8 years ago. I have several locomotives of my own, including a Dominion of Canada, purchased in 2010. I have never used the loco and it has sat in its box for 6 years. Today I took the loco out and programmed it on my son's track. The engine runs without any problem. I then noticed that the loco has sound included, but there are no details in the technical sheet that came with the loco on how to turn on the sound. I've looked through your forum and it appears that by selecting function F1 on the controller I can turn sound on. I've done that (I think) but no sound comes from the loco. I have searched for lists of functions to determine whether or not F1 is correct but haven't found anything. Can any of you DCC experts advise on what I need to do to turn the sound on? Thank you.

Thanks for your replies gents. The model is R2910. The box says DCC Ready (not DCC Fitted). It's possible I put the DCC chip in to the loco when it arrived, then put it straight back into the box and never used it, but it was a long time ago and I can't recall. I have put DCC chips into other DCC Ready locos and my memory is not the best.

The box says nothing about sound. The tech sheet inside the box says "Class A4 Steam locomotive and tender, DCC Ready / DCC fitted / Sound,  Operating and maintenance instructions". I read that and assumed that the loco had sound capability (and I was surprised as I hadn't realised previously that the model had sound.....). So I now suspect that this is a generic package insert for all A4 locos that may or may not have a sound decoder, and this one does not.

Apologies for having wasted your time, though I'm glad I asked the question, since it might have taken me some time to realise my error if it hadn't been for your comments.

Yes Andy you are quite correct. That is a generic 'catch all' packaging insert.

No worries, not a waste of time......gave me a chance to practice my moving post skills. Apart from which, the information I provided on deciphering model numbers may be beneficial to some casual flyby reader.

Andy, I am glad you asked the question as well because that is exactly what the Forum is for and I am pleased we helped you.  Please don't hesitate to ask further questions if you need to.  

There are some extremely knowledgeable people on here, ready to help.

Archived