Connect Light Signal to Accessory Decoder

PieManOzzie

Hello,

Hope someone can help me with this.  I would like to operate a Hornby R406 Coloured Light Signal using a Select DCC controller via a Hornby R8247 accessory decoder. Reading other discussions on the forum it appears that to do this I need to change one of the outputs on the R8247 to provide continuous current rather than a pulse.  However to change the output on the R8247 I need either the Rail Master software or the Elite controller which I have neither.  The Select controller I have is adequate for the layout I have and I don't want to purchase the Rail Master software or the Elite controller.  Is it possible to:

1.  Change the output to continuous current on the R8247 without using the Rail Master software or the Elite controller

2.  If the answer to the above questions is No, can I take my accessory decoder to someone that has the Rail Master software or an Elite controller (an exhibition for example) and get them to set the output on the accessory decoder to continuous current and then connect the accessory decoder back onto my layout and control the signal lights using my Select controller?

Thanks.

Just to add to the reply made by HFM above. There are two types of 'Latching Relay'. Ones with single coils that require the coil voltage polarity to be reversed to make the relay change over and a dual coil version, where the two coils are used to switch the relay back and forth.

The R8247 can not reverse the output voltage polarity, thus you would need a dual coil version 'Latching Relay' with 12 volt operation coils. The pulse output of the R8247 fires the relay and the relay latches to the direction thrown, firing a pulse into the other coil throws the relay into the other direction.

The circuit would be wired as per the schematic below:

/media/tinymce_upload/e48ddac065f6a3ceec4768c8d8f78084.jpg

Click here for Rapid Online 54-5967 Latching Relay

Note: the pin spacing on the PCB mounted relay will fit standard 0.1" (2.54mm) copper strip board (cut the copper tracks at strategic locations to isolate the relay pins from being short circuit). Mounting the relay on strip board is optional, but will make wiring easier.

Soldering will be required to make this circuit.

@PieManOzzie

Just to clarify.  The RailMaster (RM) software on its own will not be able to program your Decoder.  If you (and I know you don't want to) were to take the RM route, you need either eLink or Elite to interface your computer to the track.  

Pieman,

Another option I have just thought of.

You could buy a SPROG II for £45. This all inclusive package (hardware + software) could be used to program your decoder via a PC. I use SPROG II and it is an excellent bit of kit. It would also give you full access to all the loco CVs that you cannot currently configure with your Select controller. The SPROG II is not a controller, it is a DCC programmer. Thus it would just supplement your Hornby Select, not replace it. Note the SPROG II power supply is not included, any regulated supply matching the voltage / current requirements (12 volts DC @ 1.25 Amps) can be used. It is useful that the optional £10 power supply is not included as standard, for buyers that are not UK located.

The software included in the SPROG II package is JMRI which includes "DecoderPro", this is open source freeware. It can be downloaded from the JMRI website if you prefer to install and view the user interface before purchasing a SPROG II. Note: It is not obvious on the JMRI website, but you can't download DecoderPro in isolation. It is installed as part of the complete "JMRI 4.6 Production Version" application. When this is installed, you get two shortcuts placed on your PC Desktop. 'DecoderPro' and 'PanelPro' (PanelPro is the JMRI layout controller interface which you don't need to use).

http://www.sprog-dcc.co.uk/

Hi

Using a twin coil 12 volt latching relay connected to the output terminals of the Hornby R8247 accessory decoder is in your case possibly the simplest. 

If you dont want to solder up the relay, which is available cheaper from Bitsbox item SW105 http:///www.bitsbox.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=253&products_id=1924&zenid=atauvfkoe229tvo78jgvfbsu27 Then obtain the Gaugemaster GM500D relay unit (around £5.75) and use that. http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=GM500D&r=1

If your using the Select with a basic 1.0Amp power supply, I wouldnt use the 15v DC Aux output on the Select to feed too many Hornby colour light signals, as these signals still use filament lamps and will draw around 80 milliamp per lit signal. (0.08A) that soon mounts up and will quickly draw more power from the Select.  Consider instead using a regulated 12 volt DC power supply rated at 1.0Amp (1000 ma) to 1.5Amp (1500ma). eBay have these for around £6-£8 each. to feed all signalling etc.

Archived