TTS Class 47 decoder sounds

pidder

I wonder if anyone has fitted a Hornby TTS Class 47 decoder in a Bachmann class 25 engine? This decoder seems to be readily available at the moment and I wonder whether the sounds would be reasonably suitable for the Class 25, and if so, how easy to install.

Hi pidder.........to compare engine sounds go to this site for live samples of all the diesels.........http://www.brdw.co.uk/sounds.html

With regard to cl25 & cl47, the difference is very noticeable because the cl25 is a Sulzer 6 cyl 1250hp motor whereas the cl47 is twice the size, a 12 cyl 2580 hp motor and just sounds a much heavier machine which, of course, it is..........but better to put the 47 decoder in the cl25 to make it sound beefier than tother way round......as for fitting the TTS decoder........should be a straightforward plug in to the socket if 8 pin but many Bachmanns are 21 pin so an adapter would be needed.   The speaker would have to be fitted where space allows and possibly set in bluetac to stop it rattling around..........HB

Class 20, 25 and 47 all sound markedly different and I would not recommend using the wrong chip in a loco as it will not be at all authentic.  For a start the class 20 has an English Electric engine which has a completely different soun dto anything that Sulzer produced.

Also beware that the TTS sound chip in the current Virgin HST which has MAN engines would not be correct for use in an original liveried HST which had Paxman Valenta engines.

A quick search on you tube will help you identify teh diffenet sounds.

Archived