DCC and TTS.

PhilipJ

Hello. I'm coming back, and pretty much starting again, to model railways too so would be grateful for any information to what is probably a very silly question. If I have a loco that is DCC and TTS ready, do I need to install both decoders or just the sound one?

Thanks.

Philip.

If you pull up the service sheet for a sound ready loco you will see a decoder socket (decoder socket is fitted where the circle is in the picture) and a space for the speaker (arrowed in the picture), so installation of TTS or other 8-pin sound decoer could not be simpler.

/media/tinymce_upload/262243db65bdfeedaed9616ec7c6f665.PNG

or here in the D of G...

/media/tinymce_upload/3705f5a0ee8f6b384e2752741916348e.PNG

If you pull up the service sheet for a sound ready loco you will see a decoder socket (decoder socket is fitted where the circle is in the picture) and a space for the speaker (arrowed in the picture), so installation of TTS or other 8-pin sound decoer could not be simpler.

/media/tinymce_upload/262243db65bdfeedaed9616ec7c6f665.PNG

or here in the D of G...

/media/tinymce_upload/3705f5a0ee8f6b384e2752741916348e.PNG

Thank you very much. My confidence is low with this new (to me) stuff right now but I think I'm learning! You're explanation and diagrams are very clear so thanks once again.

I am sure you are right John, especially as Hornby have only relatively recently, announced that TTS is to be made available separately.  I guess that will stop people removing them to sell on eBay, or probably not!

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to upset anyone. With the old quote "beggers can't be choosers" in mind, I'm just looking to make the best of what was a gratefully received present intended to help me get back into the hobby.

Thanks for the help though.

Philip.

Philip j, hi, its not a problem at all. I wondered where  they were coming from, as normally, its DCC ready, not TTS ready. Now you have one for about £39, you could re instate the sound decoder., or just fit an ordinary decoder.  If you are just coming back into the hobby, you will need  a DCC controller of some sort, as well. john

Hi PhilipJ

Welcome to the forum...

You ain't upset anyone here with your purchased loco being 'TTS Ready'. They are only sold that way, as stated, if a buyer or retailer has removed the sound decoder.

You can replace that with different decoders from different manufacturers. You aren't restricted to one. They are all compliant with each other. Hornby sell two popular decoders in the four function type and the Sapphire. Help and advice on those are on the Hornby site and elsewhere. You only require one decoder for any loco unless you have, say, a 125 for example where one decoder can be used in both cars for lighting etc.

The opposite can also be said for a DCC fitted loco. you can remove that and replace it with a sound one with speaker.

Edit... John... you got there before me as I was typing this one up... :-)

Philip j, hi, its not a problem at all. I wondered where  they were coming from, as normally, its DCC ready, not TTS ready. Now you have one for about £39, you could re instate the sound decoder., or just fit an ordinary decoder.  If you are just coming back into the hobby, you will need  a DCC controller of some sort, as well. john

Cheers John. I'm thinking about either the Elite or maybe even eLink and RM pro straight from a pc. Not sure if it will work with Windows 10 though? Otherwise my mind is blown I think. I've been looking at posts on here about baseboards, track laying, wiring, decoders, points, which make of track and stuff even but as my original stuff (small set) is Hornby I wanted to go the same route I guess. I think I'll start relatively small and then hopefully extend. Thanks again for your help and if you have any other pearls of wisdon for a novice, I'd be more than glad to receive them.

Philip.

Start by reading up on all the previous queries and stumbling blocks, then go on to the Brian Lambert instruction vid's. You will find links to them all over this forum, so there is little point in re - re - repeating them!

Will do. Thank you.

RM works perfectly with W10 with either Elite or eLink no problem at all.  However, there is some setup configurations that have to be got right and without which it doesn't work.  Full instructions for setup are in the RM forum, second top sticky thread titled RM: Setting Up and Getting Started.

If you want to get a feel for what RM is like, you can download the latest version of the program from the link at the top of the RM forum.  It runs in evaluation mode until you buy a licence and activate it, and you can't actually control anything until you get your eLink or Elite.

Hornby's business plan moving forward should be to release every loco from here on in as TTS ready re RAF's picture Even if they don't have a sound decoder to match the loco as yet. Then in future they can release sound for different models and we can fit chips/speakers into our older models down the track. No point doing sound decoders if we have to butcher tenders to fit speakers and sockets I'll never buy one unless the tender is factory modified for easy installation 

If this isn't already the plan then I can see Hornby running into trouble with this TTS thing it could be the death of them so they better get this right.

For example i intend on getting the Flying Scotsman with TTS when it comes out, so unless all future A3's come out TTS ready I'll never have the need for another separate A3 sound decoder but if Hornby make it easy for me I'll be inclined to purchase one for a future release or with a bit of foresight they should have made last years A3s TTS ready then I'd already be in the market for one. If Hornby stuff this up I can see loads of decoders sitting on the shelf without homes because they are only an option for the guys who have experience making such major modifications to fit them.

RM works perfectly with W10 with either Elite or eLink no problem at all.  However, there is some setup configurations that have to be got right and without which it doesn't work.  Full instructions for setup are in the RM forum, second top sticky thread titled RM: Setting Up and Getting Started.

If you want to get a feel for what RM is like, you can download the latest version of the program from the link at the top of the RM forum.  It runs in evaluation mode until you buy a licence and activate it, and you can't actually control anything until you get your eLink or Elite.

Brilliant. Thank you for this.

Archived