Using select for accessories only.

Guest Chrissaf

Class 08, The natural progression would be to a Hornby Elite.  Once you have that , you can use your select and several others, if you wish, as Walkabouts, powered from the Elite.. john

Yes, it's possible to do this but you would have to have completely separate wiring from your accessory decoders for your points back to the Select as you can have only one DCC controlller on any circuit.

However, if you buy an Elite, then you can use the Select as a Walkabout controller connected via the Elite.  Then it will all be on the one circuit and you can decide what each controls as you go.

And I expect the mods will be moving this to the DCC forum where it should be soon too.

Both options are feasible, but just be aware of the caveats below:

If you use the Select as a dedicated controller just for controlling points. The DCC track output of the Select must ONLY connect to your point Accessory Decoders via a separate DCC BUS isolated from the main DCC BUS connecting to your layout track. It must NOT connect to the track as well as any replacement controller you may purchase. This assumes, of course, that you are using DCC Accessory Decoders to operate your points. If your points are Analogue, the Select track output is not really suitable for that type of use.

If you were to purchase a Hornby Elite as your 'better' replacement controller, then you could use the Select as a 'Walkabout' controller via a direct cable connection R8266 between the Elite and the Select. This will effectively add a third control knob to the Elite that could be used to control a third loco OR used for operating points (via Accessory Decoders).

If you are totally happy with the functional limitations of using the Select (i.e not being able to modify the full range of CVs) but just need more than 1 amp of power. Then the Hornby P9300 4 amp power supply is totally compatible with, and the Hornby recommended replacement power supply for, the Select controller. This would give you the extra power you have mentioned without the need to change anything else. If your definition of a more powerful controller is "powerful as in features and functionality", then of course that is a different matter entirely.

If you use the AUX output of the Select for layout lighting. It is 15 volts DC and not 12 volts (see note** further below). It will also have an output current that is no more than the 1 amp input power supply. In fact less, because the Select itself will consume some power. The DCC Track A&B output won't give you any more power and being a digital bi-polar signal is not really suitable for layout LED based lighting without additional bridge rectifying circuitry. Its 'peak to peak' voltage is about 28 volts.

You would be better off taking the lighting power directly from the output of the Select 15 volt DC 1 amp power supply** and not having the Select in circuit at all. You can't use a digital Select for layout lighting in the same way that you could use an old Analogue DC controller, say for example using the controller track output to dim the lighting brightness. Rotating the speed knob on a digital controller does not modify the output voltage, only the shape of the digital signal waveform.

Note** you would still need to be careful using 15 volts DC to power 12 volt accessories. LEDs would need much higher value current limiting resistors compared to those used on 12 volts. To be frank, unless you know what you are doing electrically, I would avoid using recycled Select components to operate accessories.

Not only that, but only having 1 amp (the standard Select power supply) for layout lighting and other optional DC accessories is very limiting. Once you get carried away adding lights and other things the 1 amp of available current will soon be exhausted. My friend has a small DC layout 8 feet by 5 feet. He has had to upgrade his general purpose 12 volt lighting power supply twice in three years. Firstly from 1 amp to 3 amps, then from 3 amps to 6 amps. His layout lighting and accessories currently consume about 3.5 amps of power.

Personally, I use an ex PC switch mode power supply for all my non essential layout power requirements, recycled from an old defunct micro desktop Vista PC. It has a power rating of 160 watts (this is low by current PC standards), thus it has the capacity to supply up to 13.4 amps at 12 volts. More current than I could ever possibly need. OK it cost me nothing as the PC it came from was being scrapped, but even if I had to buy one new they can be bought on Amazon & ebay for peanuts. Certainly less than £15. There are posts on this forum that describes how a PC power supply can be easily modified to provide a general purpose power supply. If you don't fancy modifying one, even though it is very easy to do (but does ideally need some soldering to be performed). Then 12 volt high current Laptop power supplies can be purchased for similar money and need no modification at all.

EDIT: I spent so much time writing this reply, that in the meantime others have posted shorter replies. However, the essence of the other replies are similar to mine. Plus mine goes into more explanatory detail, thus I have decided to leave my reply posted as originally written.

Just for completeness of information. If you use the Select as a 'Walkabout' controller addition to the Elite. You do not connect the Select to its 1 amp power supply. When in 'Walkabout' mode the Select gets its operating power via the R8266 cable that is used to connect the two controllers together. The 'Select' uses this R8266 power connection to detect that it is being used as a 'Walkabout' and configure itself accordingly for that mode of operation.

Also, it is best to use the same addressing limitations on the Elite that you currently use with your Select for maximum 'Walkabout' compatibility i.e. locos in the 1 to 59 range and points in the 61 to 99 range.

Just for completeness of information. If you use the Select as a 'Walkabout' controller addition to the Elite. You do not connect the Select to its 1 amp power supply. When in 'Walkabout' mode the Select gets its operating power via the R8266 cable that is used to connect the two controllers together. The 'Select' uses this R8266 power connection to detect that it is being used as a 'Walkabout' and configure itself accordingly for that mode of operation.

Also, it is best to use the same addressing limitations on the Elite that you currently use with your Select for maximum 'Walkabout' compatibility i.e. locos in the 1 to 59 range and points in the 61 to 99 range.

Thanks for all the information,  been a great help.  Tbh, for point motors and lighting I don't think I'd have them as dcc. I'd like to control them manually. There's something satisfying about being able to control them manually 

As my layout gets bigger,  I'm going to get a new more powerful controller . But could I still make use of my hornby select? I'm thinking using it for point motors or for powering lights. Sorry if this has been asked before! 

Nuances?, bit early in the day for techy words. Speaking as a bear of simple brain. i found my select a doddle to connect/use as a walkabout, and never gave a thought to  difference in controlling.  I have my walkabout 12 foot away on a platform, and use it for all sidings/ train compilations. I know my elite is up to date, but cant remember how far behind the select is. It has been back to hornby for updating. I find it a great addition to the layout, and am expecting a second one, in the near future. john

Archived