Unused wires?

Wobblinwheel

I recently purchased a Hornby "Golden Eagle" A4 loco, which I installed a Sapphire decoder in the tender. I'm interested in putting a "firebox flicker" in the loco. Does anyone know if there are UNUSED wires in the harness going from engine to tender that can be used for this, or do I have to run new ones?

Hi, WW.........it's irritating when there is no service sheet available for a loco.......I believe yours is R3320 but HSS358C or HSS394 are probably similar and both show just 4 wires from tender to loco........2 for pick-ups and 2 for motor feed so you would have to run 2 more to the firebox from the decoder socket.......... 😀..........HB

Sapphire is a 4-function decoder.  Blue is the common positive wire for these, white and yellow used for directional lighting, leaving 2 unused being green and purple.  You can use either of these unused with the blue common positive to run your fire box glow but you have to extend them from tender to loco as HB says.

Thanks guys. I was afraid of that.... Then again, I could build a flickering led that runs off the power pickups in the loco...? My insignificant other has these little battery-operated "tea candles" that each has a flickering led. Wonder if I could reduce the voltage from the track enough to make them work....

@WW..........tried that with 1K resistor but the LED would not flicker due to the digital AC current, only flickers on DC unless of course you built in a bridge rectifier.........HB

I was afraid of that too. Maybe I'll leave it battery operated and install it in the tender. Cut a hole in the front of the tender for the led to shine through. Pretend the fireman got a bit "confused"....

Just to show that it is possible to run a flickering LED from the track supply..........four diodes arranged to effect a bridge rectifier to modify the AC input to DC through a 1K ohm resistor, the LED is one from a flicker candle............ 😀...........HB

/media/tinymce_upload/1d5471494c6080a4cafab985e683829d.jpg

Archived