Elite not changing accessories

Now1983

Tried connecting the Elite to an R8247 and DCC Concepts and found it would only change direction once and then stay in that direction setting.

Disconnected point motors and operated these manually from the accessory sockets and they work fine. Tried connecting the Hornby colour light signal to the R8247 and this would not change eithure.

So when operating accessories direction cannot be changed, so come to the conclusion there is a problem with the Elite. Have tried doing a re-set and updating to the latest version.

Would be grateful for any ideas or does it mean my Elite now has selected functions.

Welcome

I would expect the problem is with the acc decoder not the Elite.

Is this fault evident on all ports or just one.

You can reset an acc decoder just like a loco decoder by writing value 8 to CV8.

Firstly, is it a case that it used to work and now doesn't OR is it a new purchase and you are trying to get it to work for the first time. This question is designed to ascertain if we need to diagnose a fault, or focus on how you are wiring up the accessories and trying to operate them. Do you use 'RailMaster' with your Elite, knowing this helps with advising about performing configurations as they are done differently on the Elite compared to RM.

Secondly, as you have done an Elite 'Reset' look at the Elite LCD screen screen during power up. Does it display 'Classic' or 'Standard'. In the majority of layout control configurations it should display 'Standard'. The Elite manual tells you on page 68 how to configure the startup operating mode. Be aware that performing an Elite 'Reset' usually ends up with the Elite reverting to 'Classic' mode.

Thirdly, the R406 light signal needs the R8247 port it is connected to to be configured for 'always on'. The default configuration of the R8247 is a 'pulse' output. The wiring colours for the R406 are different to the wiring colours for Hornby point motors. Hornby point motors use 'Black' as the common return (Peco point motors use Green for this connection by the way). The Hornby R406 signal uses the 'Green' as the common return.

See this previous post by Hornby Customer Care (HCC) confirming the colours used.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/r406-amp;-r8247-points-and-accessory-decoder/

Follow up to my previous reply:

When the Elite powers up, look at the firmware revision number. The way in which accessories are switched changed in firmware 1.41 (current firmware is 1.43).

Prior to firmware 1.41 you used the SAME control knob to switch the accessory. See first image below (extract from pre 1.41 user manual) note item 4 circled in red.

/media/tinymce_upload/ea3944f19bc026b040ae2e0bdbfcb7e0.jpg

From firmware 1.41 onwards, you used the other control knob to switch the accessory in the other direction. See second image below (extract from 1.41 and later user manual) note item 4 circled in red.

/media/tinymce_upload/a3ce670c5e13ef46fa061005635fdc19.jpg

Addition to my previous reply.

The most common reason for a point operating in one direction only and not the other is because the point motor has been mis-wired. Usually the 'Black' and 'Green' are reversed. But the same result can be obtained if the 'Black' and 'Red' are reversed instead.

Why this happens is described in this previous post (5th post down on the page).

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/surface-point-motors/?p=1

Thanks for the replies.

I brought my Elite a few years ago and have just started setting up a layout to use it, odviiously I need to look at the latest manual.

I was not using both control knobs to change direction, issue now resolved. Thanks Chrissaf.

Archived