Wiring Issues

Homer

My layout is wired for DCC operation, i also have analogue trains, so why when I disconnect the DCC controller and connect an analogue controller (not using the same wiring)to run a analogue train my Hornby Eurostar and Javalin DCC chipped trains run At the same time the analogue train runs.

DCC decoders have the ability to be controlled by a DC Analogue controller just like a native DC loco. For all intents and purposes, a DCC loco IS an Analogue DC loco when placed on an Analogue DC layout.

If you don't want this behaviour. That is to say, you want your DCC locos to sit still on the layout and ignore the DC track voltages. You can do this by switching off the 'DC Operation' bit (bit 2) in CV29. If you have other DCC locos that ignore your DC Analogue track voltages, then those locos will already have CV29 Bit 2 switched off.

To do this you need a controller capable of reading and writing CV29, basically anything except a Hornby Select.

For more information on CV29 see this link:

http://www.2mm.org.uk/articles/cv29%20calculator.htm

Just for clarity & to reiterate: Do not leave a DC loco or a 'DCC Ready' loco (one without a decoder fitted) sitting on the DCC Digital track. It is very likely to be damaged if you do.

The DCC trains start moving because they have DC running enabled in their decoders...........to stop this, you have to change CV29 by deducting 4 from the existing value.......if you set CV29 to a value of 2 then this will give 128 speed steps and DCC running only..........HB

We could have a library of stock answers ready with clickable links but that would make some of us redundant and spoil all the fun..........this all helps keep the old brain active as well as learning new stuff......... 😎.......HB

Archived