Krois uncoupling

benson132

I bought  Krois digital couplings 2 years ago but have just got around fitting them. My problem has been potential conflict between decoders  my existing locos -  two of them (Flying Scotsman TTS & Class 37 TTS) do not have the function for digital uncoupling.

The above ZS1 decoder from Krois sounds like the solution. Does anyone know about them? 

I have downloaded the manual for ZS1 but I do not understand it! I think the translation from German to English hasnt gone well

I really appreciate any advice

The above ZS1 decoder from Krois sounds like the solution.

The ZS1 is not a Decoder. It is a timer circuit that works in conjunction with your existing decoder to convert a steady function output (or one that has minimal timing control) to a timed 4 second pulse. According to the manual, your existing decoder needs a function output with a 200mA rating. Thus, these ZS1 controlled digital decouplers would not be compatible with TTS decoders.

As a German product presumably aimed at the Euro market. It seems that many of the Euro market decoders are more generous with the function output current ratings than those decoders typically found in the UK.

This 4 second timed output would seem to infer that the couplers themselves can be damaged if power is applied for too long, hence the ZS1 timer circuit is used to protect them and the existing decoder from damage.

The drawing below is my interpretation of the online user guide (use at your own risk).

/media/tinymce_upload/d5179e7d2b686f641e6f2c5daf586c2c.jpg

Thanks Chris. Got any ideas how I can achieve Krois uncoupling? I did look at a zimo (may have been esu) function only controller with a separate  address ie as a "new" loco. The idea is to uncouple on the fly not with the "shuffle"  i.e. leave coaches/wagons to roll to a stop. Tearing hair out here trying to find a solution... John

You don't say what kind of couplers you are using, ie tension locks, kadees, three link chain, etc.

There is a system advertised in the magazines - for tension locks, that puts a small solenoid into the tender, and a wire 'arm' pulls the tension hook up, but as it didn't interest me, I didn't pay any attention to how it was worked.

It sounds from your description that the Krois uses a similar system of a solenoid - hence the time delay, to prevent the solenoid burning out.

Thanks Chris. Got any ideas how I can achieve Krois uncoupling?

Sorry....no ideas.....all I did was have a stab at translating the German user guide into something that made more sense.

A second decoder to supplement the TTS decoder with a more powerful function output =>200mA is probably your best option.

If you look at the time-stamps I was editing that post over a one hour period. The diagram took a little time to draw and add as an edit. I typically tend to embellish my posts over an extended edit time frame, thus always worth coming back to check later for any amendments and additions that I might make.

Archived