My trains move in pulses ?

Masonn

I've recently started to use my Hornby set-up again after about a years break, and when I turned it all on and power up my train it moved slightly (Hardly 2 cm's) then stopped, I keep the power up to see what was going on and it moved slightly again. I though the train was bust so I tried it with my other train(s) and they both did the same thing, I've got the Digital Select powered by a 15 volt Hornby transformer that came with it. I've tried on different pieces of track to make sure it was not the track at fault so it must be something with the controller or the trains.

Any help would be appreciated, and if you need anymore information let me know.

Has the track been laid on a board during the years break without being touched. Or stored away in the original packaging?

Despite you saying it is the same with different track sections. Thus, coming to your conclusion that it is not the track. DCC needs spotlessly clean track and loco wheels and pickups. After a year of not being used, track will have tarnished (even nickle silver track will do that), even if stored in a box. Even more so, if laid on a board without use. Everything probably could do with a thoroughly good clean with a track cleaning rubber and a cloth used with IPA (IsoPropyl Alcohol). IPA on cotton buds for the wheels (both the wheel tyres [tires for our US readers] and wheel backs where the pickups rub against them).

Has the track been laid on a board during the years break without being touched. Or stored away in the original packaging?

Despite you saying it is the same with different track sections. Thus, coming to your conclusion that it is not the track. DCC needs spotlessly clean track and loco wheels and pickups. After a year of not being used, track will have tarnished (even nickle silver track will do that), even if stored in a box. Even more so, if laid on a board without use. Everything probably could do with a thoroughly good clean with a track cleaning rubber and a cloth used with IPA (IsoPropyl Alcohol). IPA on cotton buds for the wheels (both the wheel tyres [tires for our US readers] and wheel backs where the pickups rub against them).

Thats what I though so I used track that had been in the box and still it did the same :/

Masonn, you will find it easier to post a reply if you use the 'Reply' text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button. The blue box / white arrow button is NOT a 'Reply to this post' button.

Opps Yeah, Sorry, totally overlooked that bit :/

Got any ideas, is there anyway I can power the trains without them being on the track, like just putting the wires from the power track to the wheels ?

Im almost certain it cant be the track as like I said it used the newest/cleaned track I have(it has been in the box)

Yes, you can take two wires directly from the Select Track A&B output terminals and touch the wires to the wheels of the loco.

You will of course have to call up the loco on the Select and turn the control knob as if it was on the track first. Else there will be no digital DCC signal telling the loco motor to turn. DCC works by repeating the digital signal on the track output, so you don't have to have a helper to control the Select whilst you hold the wires on the wheels (although that would be beneficial). Given that you have a Select, then I would be very surprised indeed if DC running was disabled on your loco. Thus you could also test the loco by touching the terminals of a fully charged brand new 9 volt PP3 battery across the wheels.

Is it possible that the Trains need some Maintenance?

Or, if you can borrow a Digital Controller from a friend, that would be a way of ruling out your controller or if you have a local Model Railway Club, take your Controller and Trains there to get them checked.

I think your locos may need servicing.  After a while the oils used on the loco can become thick, almost solid, causing too much strain on the motor and cause the decoder to cut out to prevent damage.  A clean and a tiny bit of new oil (proper oil which is suitable for use in models, not 3 in 1 or WD40) should help. Cleaning the wheels may also help.  Cleanliness is really important with DCC.  Take or send it to a model shop ifyou don't feel confident to do it yourself.

Archived