Elite not changing address

Smallteasers

Hi all

I am trying to change a locomotive address using the above unit. It is currently addressed at 4108. It has a Bachmann six pin decoder installed. I placed the loco on the programming track and followed the instructions in the manual and it seemed to go through the motions i.e. the red led lit up and the loco moved a couple of times. However when I read the address back it still had the old address. There is also a high pitched noise coming from the unit but I think it has always been there!

Thanks

Alan

You will need to check the instruction sheet that came with the Bach 6 pin decoder.........the table of CV Values shows the necessary setting for CV29 that allows long addresses.......you need to be sure that your decoder is correctly set before you can alter the 4 digit address.........HB

Is the loco a recent (secondhand?) purchase and the 4108 address is left over from the previous owner?

or

Is it a known working model that you have been using for some time on that address and you just want to change the address?

For information: the address being 4108 means that it was originally configured for 'Long Addressing'. The decoder factory default is 'Short Addressing'. As a RM user, I don't use my Elite knobs and buttons to perform CV reading & writing, but I believe there maybe a different Elite process to be followed when 'Long Addresses' are involved.

If it is a recent purchase (secondhand?) you might be better off performing a decoder factory reset (write decimal value 8 to CV8) first. This will reset the decoder to 'Short Addressing' with the address 003. You could then test the loco on this 003 address before trying to change it to the address you want to use. Which is what address?

Note: DCC short addresses are in the range 001 to 127. DCC address 128 and above are 'Long Addresses'.

EDIT: This time HB got in before me.

Hi many thanks for your suggestions, I'm a bit new to the Elite controller. The decoder is new and was installed about a month ago. However it was programmed by a Z21 to a four digit address right off the bat. I tried altering CV29 but the elite would not change any of the CV values. I then tried a factory reset using cv8 but again the decoder did not respond. So I tried altering the addresses of 2 other locos and this was successful both for long and short addresses - not sure if this is relevant?. Not sure what is going on with the six pin decoder in the 1f loco as it is driving perfectly on its current address - do you think it might be faulty or am I missing something?

Ta, Alan

So I tried altering the addresses of 2 other locos and this was successful both for long and short addresses - not sure if this is relevant?

Yes that statement is very relevant, as it infers that the issue is with the Bachmann decoder and not the way you are operating your Elite.

Please state the Bachmann decoder stock number. It is in the format xx-yyyy some Bachmann decoder models are known to have issues with Hornby's Select controller, but AFAIK no one has yet reported Bachmann decoder issues with an Elite. If you state the decoder model number, then others here might be familiar with it. You might get a 'me too' response or 'I have no issues with that decoder' response.

Have you updated the Elite firmware to the latest 1.43 version release?

1.43 made noticeable improvements to CV reading & writing. The version number appears briefly on the Elite LCD screen during power up. If you don't know how to perform the firmware upgrade, then say so here. There are numerous threads on this forum explaining the process we can direct you to.

HB makes a very good suggestion. Those modes have been known to work with decoders that have failed to be recognised on the programming track using 'direct mode'. I would advise isolating the loco on the track when using those alternative modes. You don't want to risk corrupting the programming of other decoders.

Not surprising you have issues if your firmware version is 1.4.  This version had bugs and was replaced almost immediately by 1.41.  You should definitely upgrade to 1.43.  Chris will give you a link to his comprehensive instructions on how to do that, or you can just download from this site and follow the instructions that come with the download.

Finally got some time to upgrade the Elite to 1.43. Update worked first time thanks to Chris' step-by-step guide on this forum. Programmed the offending decoder 😛 first time with no issues. Thanks for all the help with this issue.

The Elite unit still has a bit of a high pitched whine though - should I be concerned?

Thanks

Alan

Maybe its my age (60+) but my Elite is as silent as the grave (well at least to my aged ears it is).

Glad you found my 1.43 upgrade tutorial OK.....and also that the 1.43 upgrade solved your issue.

I've had one of my Elites fired up with the top off for some live oscilloscpoe probing and it is also dead quiet. Had it been noisy I could maybe have isolated where the noise was coming from, but no such luck.

I would have put my mechanic's 'stethoscope' over it but its in UK, these special tools are always at the wrong end of the world when you need it at the other end.

Rob

As the output signal is relatively high frequency, around 10Khz. Any component vibration, such as an output inductor coil for example will be in the audible range.

Rob could probably confirm if this applies to the Elite, but sometimes components susceptible to electrically induced vibration (such as coils and transformers) are glued down with a squirt of silicon. If there is such a component in the Elite output, then maybe the damping (silicon?) needs some additional application.

I had another listen with the Elite top off and close up there is a low volume high pitched buzz, but I couldnt pin it down to a particular component. It may be from the unique driver module for my backlight on this Elite.

I didnt want to get my ear too close to those big capacitors.

A couple of parts have bent aluminium heatsinks bolted on but it wasn't them vibrating.

There is a crystal in there at the front left, presumably an oscillator which I thought could be the source but I couldn't be sure.

It didnt seem to be coming from those big inductors either.

Nothing appears to be siliconed Chris so we can rule that snag/rule fix out.

Here's a picture of the insides for the electronics gurus to peruse.

/media/tinymce_upload/0ca9fdeadedb6864bea4b234e70317c9.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

I am having a problem with the  Elite and O gauge loco's since changing to O GAUGE I brought 3 Dapol class 08's and 1 little loco class 15 all set to default of 03 has I used the Elite for my prev ogauge trains I had no problem with changing address but with new loco's no joy no twitch and the Elite pulse the red led anything between 8 and 12 times,so I am stuck with 4 loco's with the same address of 03. So any ideas I am running ver 1.43  on the Elite I don' t want to change the Elite because I run railmaster.

Regards

Michael 

Try writing the (short) address to CV1 in Operations Mode rather than Direct Mode, or the correct values if writing a long address to CVs 17 and 18.

Make sure that loco is the only one on the main track or temporarily connect a length of track to the Elite TRACK terminals.

Rob

Archived