recommended new guy dcc controller

trooper86

Other makes are available...as they say. This forum has its rules so response must be biased toward Hornby products.

However I would advise looking on other model rail forums (of which there are several good ones) for any DCC kit reviews they may have posted and see what tickles your fancy.

Rob

I was new to this hobby a year ago and I started out with a DCC Venice Simplon Orient Express set and my knowledge of model railways was zero. This came with the Hornby Select controller. I've since had this controller updated to the latest version. Without any bias I can honestly say that this controller is by far the best for a beginner. Yes there are more advanced controllers -and more expensive - but the Select will give you a good basic knowledge of operating a DCC layout. Once you're at the stage of needing a more advanced controller you can upgrade to the Hornby Elite and you should be able to sell the Select easily for a good percentage of the purchase price. In a sentence 'don't run before you've learnt to walk'.

Roy 

Good advice from Roy.  However, if you are interested in computer control, you might also consider the eLink and Railmaster at a similar price.  If that appeals at all, you can download Railmaster (RM) from the link st the top of the RM forum and have a play in evaluation mode for free and by itself, no layout attached.

I would also suggest a bit of research by Googling Brian Lambert and looking at his excellent site, particularly the DCC pages.

PS.  It's usually cheaper to buy online from the UK, saving VAT and GST than buying in Oz.

To add to what Fishy said RailMaster comes with some digital sets that have the eLink but not with a set containing the Select. The Elite is not sold in a train set but separately.

If you do get an eLink set do not register the RailMaster software but as Fishy suggested use in Evaluation mode to see if you like the idea. Then if you want to use a completely different controller and/or computer software you can sell the eLink with the unused RailMAster registration key.

Archived