Controller disconnecting and not controlling trains

Hi All

I am new to rail master.  I have an elite controller and windows 8 laptip.

I am trying out the demo version of rail master before I invest in the full licence.

I have installed the drivers as per the instructions online.  The controller is coming up as connected but when trying to control the trains nothing happens!

I am using the preprogrammed addresseses I had set from when I was using the elite controller on its own

I have tried to reprogram the addresses using the rail master and tried reading the CV settings but it keeps coming up with controller disconnected.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Hi nick, you need to check that you have the correct entries in your rsilmaster.ini file for your setup.  Go to the 2nd top locked thread in the forum, Setting Up and Getting Started and go to the last post their where HRMS details the correct entries you need.

Most likely you need to go into the RM System Settings screen and select the correct Com Port.

In the "System Settings" screen (COG icon on the top navigation bar left hand side) you will see a small blue COG icon in the bottom left hand side. Click it and Windows 'Device Manager (DM)' will open. Look at the "COM & LPT" branch of the DM tree and look for an entry that is similar to "USB Serial Port (COMx)" where x is a number and hopefully either a 3 or a 4. Make a mental note of the number. Close DM.

Now in the 'System Settings' window. Make sure that 'Controller A' says 'Hornby Elite', that DCC Controller port says the COM number you found in DM, and that the Baud rate says 19200. As per image below...... (only change the Com3 in the image below to the number you found in DM if it wasn't Com 3).

/media/tinymce_upload/f7da9a1b1682d581ac956fa568c5fcd6.jpg

If this was not your issue, then work your way systematically through all the guidance you will find in the sticky post at the top of the forum RailMaster section titled: "RailMaster: Setting Up & Getting Started" paying particular attention to the section on modifying your "railmaster.ini" file with the Elite settings.

PS - In evaluation mode you are limited to only being able to setup and control two locos.

EDIT: Fishy got in just ahead of me. Hence a bit of duplication. Duplication is a good thing because it means we are fairly sure we know what your issue is and how to correct it.

Follow the 'step by step' guidance I provided in this previous post. Fifth reply up from the bottom

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/running-the-eureka-3801-on-the-elite/?p=1

Make sure you are using the latest 1.43 boot loader. Use the download link given in the posted reply above. Also note the comment in the 'step by step' instructions about trying different PC Type settings. i.e to try a different PC Type you have to go all the way back to Step 1 (its like snakes and ladders, fail and you go back to the beginning). I suggest starting with PC Type 2 as the chosen first choice in the firmware bootloader installer.

Note that the 1.43 installer also asks you to state what Com port you are using - see my previous reply to your previous issue regarding viewing 'Device Manager'. Does this new issue mean that your previous one is now resolved. If so, it is courtesy to let us know. Or are you trying this update to see if that resolves your previous issue. Keeping us updated with your current status, helps us to help you.

Just followed that post.

Tried all 3 pc types. Over an hour later and it's still failing and crashing my bootloader.

I'm resetting the whole computer between now each type and starting from scratch each time.

I have checked device manager and it's com 4. It's connecting fine to the elite but it's dropping out with RM. And the uploaded is running all the way to the end then failing!

I think it may have to go back to hornby and get them to update it for me!

Try performing an Elite factory reset then try again. The reset procedure is in the Elite manual page 43 in the original 1.3 manual - see below.

/media/tinymce_upload/952292054f80467b4918e81fd193869c.jpg

If a factory reset and retry still fails.

Yours will be the very first forum reported failure to update using the new 1.43 updater. If you have access to an old XP machine, that will update without fail as it uses the Hornby written driver and not the one from Microsoft. The XP driver is included in the 1.43 firmware ZIP file.

As well as above.

If you are still having issues with RM connecting to the Elite. Check your railmaster.ini entries for these two lines and tell us if they are present or not, and if present what are the values of n?. Use the COG icon in the RM 'Help' screen window to open the .INI file editor.

Alternative comms=n where n = 1 or 0

Check controller=n where n = 1 or 0

I'm trying to update from vq.e to v1.43 to see if that helps the original issue

Vq.e??

If your Elite has 'bricked' due to a failed update Chris's advice to reset the Elite wont be possible until it boots properly and you get back to the menu system.

Think of those PC types as gears in your car - 1 is slow speed pcs, 2 is medium speed and 3 is quick pcs.

Waiting between the sequence of actions to set the Elite into update mode as it is known is very important and you may need to start again as Chris says. Generally if the progress bar finishes in less than two minutes, its a fail, three to five minutes is a good rate  and an hour or so is the wrong pc type but will usually still work.

Rob

If you get that far you are doing the set up things right, so I suspect a dodgy download file.

My advice would be to download the firmware update on a different PC and try the update again from there.

Or said he clutching at straws, try a diferent USB port, pref a USB 2.0 one.

I agree trying a different USB port (prefably a USB2.0 one as USB3.0 is known to be problematic for some) is a good thing to try. But be aware, that plugging the Elite into a different USB port will also probably assign a different COM port number to it. So do re-check Windows 'Device Manager' to confirm the COM Port number before re-running the firmware updater.

And do make sure you follow those 15 second delays to get the Elite into Update mode in the first place.

We really do want to help you get this sorted, you are spoiling our 100% record since the new updates came out, apart from anything else.

But just returning to your original problem, the chances are the update will make little difference.  While we know 1.43 is better at reading and writing CVs, it shouldn't make any difference to running trains on their initial addresses set with Elite (the addresses are held in the decoder, not the controller).  our advice back on page 1 should fix that for you.

Archived