Two won't run without 1

Jabez

Hello All,

I have three DCC locos running via a Select controller. I have added a bus lane and put in a few droppers. All went well (for a bit).

Now loco number 1 will run OK but loco 2 and loco 5 will only run if loco 1 is running!!

I have had the CE message a couple of times but I have no idea what is wrong.

I have cleared the Select a couple of times but it still holds on to address 2 and address 5, it won't reset. Maybe the Select has a fault?

Can anyone advise me please.

Thanks,

Jabez

Have you tried configuring an address on one of the three locos without removing the other two locos from the track first.

The Select does not have a separate programming output, thus if you are going to program a loco (or any decoder) on the main layout track. You must remove all the other devices and locos containing a DCC decoder first.

The only way all three DCC locos can run together when not on DC, but on a DCC track, is if they all have the same DCC address.

Either that, or assuming that Loco 1 is still on the default 003 address, a transient short circuit has reset the other two locos back to the default 003 address. One loco could potentially do this, but the odds of two locos doing this simultaneously are much less. I favour my original incorrect programming technique diagnosis as the likely culprit for your issue.

PS - The addresses are held in the memory of the individual loco decoders, not the Select, thus clearing the Select (whatever you actually mean by that statement) is unlikely to have any effect.

PPS - According to the Select manual, CE means "expressNet Command Error". So if your issue is not a loco address configuration one, then yes it is possible that the Select is faulty. Try readdressing the locos to unique addresses first (one at a time on the track) before assuming Select is at fault.

Hello.

Thanks for your very quick replies.

I always remove all locos apart from the one I want to program so that is not the problem.

By clearing the select I mean re-setting the select back to its default state.

I can re-set loco 1 to a different program number but I cannot do the same with loco 2 or loco 5, (all done individually). When all three are running, they each respond individually to their respective loco numbers, ie individual speed control.

Confusing. Looks to me like a faulty select controller.

I do have a switch to cut off current to the track. This enables 'track' current to operate my turntable.

Thanks again Chrssaf and RAF96.

Cheers,

John (Jabez).

One other possibilty is that the configurations for the locos 2 and 5 decoders have been corrupted. A factory reset of these decoders might help (writing decimal value 8 to CV 8). However, you will have to find somebody with a more capable controller as you cannot write to CV8 with the Select, it is too basic.

hi, i have an elite with 2 selects linked up to it but i'm afraid i still have the same problem (intermitently) with the selects from time to time. usually i select the loco on the elite then it's fine again (then i can go back to select if i wish) sorry i cant help with a solution except to say it doesn't seem to happen on elite.

Archived