DCC set up help

Malta middle man

Hi all

I have been asked to help my father in law convert his old trains to dcc and eventually with sound.

Some of his trains are hornby: R084, R240, S4539.

OO scale.
Track has been bridged.

I have already bought some decoders (R8249) and will watch some tutorial videos on how/where to solder)

I am just about to make an order (trying to get it in one order since postage is to Malta) from hattons as I found them helpful (though biased towards NCE powercab controller).

We will order the Elite, one complete train with sound fitted (R3395TTS Class A4 4-6-2 4468 "Mallard" in LNER Garter Blue - TTS sound fitted - Railroad Range) and would like to get one or two sound decoders (pre-loaded) for his old trains  (R084, R240, S4539) (they seem to be class 29, class 91) but can't find sound decoders which would be compatible with these trains.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Regards

Welcome to the forums MMM (thats what people will probably refer to you as on here).

Rails of Sheffield are flogging TTS decoders for various loco types - presumably removed from TTS retail locos, so you may find what you are looking for there. Their price is about the same as Hornby intends to charge.

Hornby is not due to release retro fit TTS decoder kits until later in the year, but they are available on pre-order from the shop on this site.

You can find other make sound decoders for most loco types not from Hornby and a tad more expensive but more capable, some to look out for are ESU, LegoBiffoMan (yes its real), WOW, U-Choos and others I can't recall. Just google DCC sound decoders or look at the DCC Sound forum on the new RM-Web forum, which has several sound decoder people active on there.

There are several places to look for typical DCC conversions, such as the Hornby and Bromsgrove Models websites.

Converting to TTS sound is dead easy if your chosen loco has an 8-pin socket in the tender - i.e. most recent Hornby tender equipped locos. If not then a bit of progressive thinking may be required - use the link in my signature block, click Articles and Mallard conversion for a rough guide as to what is involved.

Any more questions then please come back here and ask them - we don't bite and most of us actually know quite a lot about a lot of things.

Rob

@MMM

When you reply ignore that blue button as all it does is repeat the post you are replying to.

Much better to use the green arrow reply method in the white box at the bottom of the page, which doesn't recopy the previous stuff.

If you want to quote a part of the previous post just highlight the bit you want and copy and paste it in to your reply, then rehighlight it and click the  /media/tinymce_upload/39596680165ecdfbd8d6c771a04be65a.PNG  icon in the bar above to make it a quote.

Rob

Archived