What's the best way to fit a DCC chip

Fazy

I bought a old Fowler 2-6-4t a few years ago.  And a body which I converted to a limousine cab.  I've Just bought a Xo3 motor to fit still needs brushes. But would like to fit the motor. However I would like to add a DCC chip. I was wondering what's a best way to go about it.  The wires already fixed to the chassis seem to be just on one side, so either it's missing some or its directly feed from chassis to the motor. So how to isolate the motor and fit the chip would seem to be the question. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

X03/04 are the simplest of conversions. Usually for DC, the spring that holds the brushes has an insulating sleeve on one side and the  return on the other side goes from brush to spring to motor to chassis to axles and uninsulated wheels.  For DCC, just insulate the other side of the spring and now the motor is isolated from the chassis.  Remove all connections to the brushes and discard the capacitor.    Orange and grey decoder wires  to the now insulated brushes, rail connections to the pickup wire on one side and to a connector under the bolt holding the motor on the other.  And it's done. 

The answer is it depends and always best to do a stall current test to be sure.  Some have reported success with the 8249 on these motors but I'd feel much safer using a 1Amp decoder rather than the 8249 with 500mA.  That would mean a Sapphire or another brand.

Archived