Anyone know how to make a working level crossing

andel1

What style of crossing are you after. Here are three of the basic types I am aware of. I scratch built the middle 'Lift barrier' style out of 'Plastruct'.

Lift barriers with skirts

/media/tinymce_upload/d77d7c0571ad7857ed27cb5c2556a134.jpg

Lift barriers

/media/tinymce_upload/f1c0679ccd1c295a8f9dcede4c757216.jpg

Gates

/media/tinymce_upload/22c9abdf2b80aff6558e8ce268d2beb9.jpg

Hi andel1

I have installed a Peco curved level crossing and have insttalled lighting and sound to the crossing. But have not as yet included lifting of the barriers.

I used Train-Tech decoder and lighting take a look at Train-Tech website and video at

Train-Tech level crossing lights and sound

/media/tinymce_upload/df5dc7756b10321edd9c236719b3278f.jpg

Plan view

/media/tinymce_upload/6ca2f983c804419563c6f95ecd2d0131.jpg

I control the hazard light/sound using a signal, initially I tried using point buttons but points require 2 seconds to respond, signal commands in programs are much faster which is drfinately needed as the system is activated well back down the line, before the previous signal.

First a red light comes on, sound is activated straight away. Then the 2 flashing amber lights come on, you can set sound to run for a short period or continuous, I chose the shortest time which is more than enough, but the lights flash as long as you need, I usually allow until the last carriage has passed the crossing.

Has anyone motorised the barriers (or gates) of a level crossing to work in RailMaster?

All the gated crossings I have seen constructed on other forums (fori) or magazines have been servo operated and I have no idea of if RM progs can control servoes.

Rob

@PJ.............I've seen servos used to drive the gates, controlled by the accessory decoder and treated as a point by RM......HB

I thought servoes had to have their own 'signal generator' rather than direct drive from an acc decoder. I.e. Command signal left right or centre.

Going slightly off topic here - but the Megapoints system can be controlled via the Elite. That is how I have set mine up. I'm imagining that the DCC module that you can buy alongside the main controller must change the signal to something suitable for servos. I have yet to fire up RM to see if that is OK, but if the Elite works OK I cannot see why it shouldn't be. I'll let you know later - still upside down under the layout retro-fitting servo motors.  🫨 R-

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds like you are at the point I was a few months ago.  I decided that I would make a completely scratch built level crossing.  I have uploaded a short video showing the crossing as it is today, working but without the finer details required ... road markings signs etc.  Maybe it will give you some ideas?

<https://youtu.be/-Wznqp11ZtU>

The crossing is set up to allow control either via a manual switch or via a DCC command.

Let me know if you want any more detail, I'd be happy to share.

Archived