Strange issue with Elite.

WilliamDavid

After relaying some track and points, I decide to test it with my Bachmann Prairie, which is down as no. 6.

Turning the knob resulted  in no movement of the loco, and the direction indicators shifting to reverse. The changing direction function would not change it back.

I tried other locos, and they worked fine.

I fired up Railmaster, and this didn't operate this loco either.

I connected up the Elink, and the loco worked as it should.

Clearly there is an issue with the Elite. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Set the decoder to a different ID after resetting it to default by writing 8 to CV8.  It has been known that certain addresses decide they no longer wish to work with a controller, so try another.  And do reset the Elite as Rog suggests, they can get their wires crossed, figuratively speaking, meaning a reset may just sort it.

WD, just double check that the Elite 'reset' didn't reinstate the 'Classic' operation mode. Change it back to 'Standard' if it did. Standard needed for compatibility with RailMaster.

If you really mean v1.4, not v1.41, then you should most certainly update.  You may not have noticed them yet but v1.4 was replaced by v1.41 within weeks to fix all the bugs found in 1.4. There were many screams on the forum at the time from unhappy users. Don't remember what the bugs were now, it was years ago, maybe Classic mode masks some of them.

Well 2e0, to satisfy my own curiosity, I went back to 2012 to find out the differences between 1.4 and 1.41.  for a start, I can tell you that I bought my Elite back in April 2012 and immediately updated it from v1.3 to v1.4.  They didn't release a new manual with 1.4, instead there was a 28 page document which listed the differences. Then 1.41 was released a few months later, not a few weeks in July 2012 with a brand new manual in August 2012.  Then I eventually found this on the changes between 1.4 and 1.41, with this update described as bug fixes:

"I had this from HCC listing the differences between 1.4 and 1.41 hopefully it's fairly clear, although you may need to refer to the new 1.41 manual. Not really a problem for those new to the Elite but for us who have had one since the start make a bit more sense.

Issue 1 User Interface:-

If you press the ACC button then the Loco button you can swap between control knob 1 and 2 just by turning them. From there on it is no longer needed to first press the control knob to activate a channel.

Risk of controller lock up....Now removed.

Issue 2

Programming R8215 decoders:-Version 1.4 may fail to program early Hornby decoders i.e. R8215...now fixed.

Issue 3

Mode Start up issue:-Version 1.4 may not start up in the correct Elite mode..i.e. "Standard" or "Classic".. now fixed. Elite will always start in the mode previously set.

Issue 4

Control knob action in sub menus should be bi-directional:-Now Fixed.

Issue 5

User interface change/Enhancement:-

a) Now possible to switch between channels with display modes retained for each channel. This facilitates faster function control /access with less button presses.

b) Redundant channel number indication removed when in accessory control mode.

c) When selecting Accessory for control the display will now show:-

ControlAdr:xxxx where xxxx is the entered accessory address.

Previously showed "Contr" in reference to the redundant knob/channel number which was removed. The change now infers which accessory address you wish to control."

Then there was one other issue I found mentioned about 1.4 - it was not possible to program locos on the programming track using Classic mode.  Are you able to program in Classic mode?

So there you have it 2e0, entirely up to you if you have found any of these problems and wish to fix them

Archived