Decoder Fitting

Yelrow

Greetings, following on from the age of the forum, it occurred to me, it would be interesting to see if decoder fitting, was also, age related. So, 2 questions, Who fits their own, eg, just connects them, and who actually, hard wires locos.  To start it off, i do Neither. john

I fit my own and hardwire some,(terrier pug,modern m7 have had to be hardwired),only had one smoke,that was a Q1 that the socket had been over enthusiastically soldered so that it shorted.

Never paid more than about £20 for decoders,so would be less confident with a £100 sound decoder.

I'm 63 and it has been a good learning experience,this and other forums have been very helpful,

I'm 64 and I'll happily fit decoders, whether it's a hardwire or plug in job, though my eyesight isn't as good as it was.  Magnifying visor helps a lot and various pairs of specs for long, medium and short distance vision.

Also do all kinds of electronics work as a hobby (was a professional electronics engineer for a while, working mainly on digital systems doing repairs to component level).  Also keen amateur metalworker and wood worker.

Did house wiring in the past but like Raf, not qualified to do it now.

I have bought ready-fitted, dcc ready, and if needed hard-wire my own. (Price increases cause purchase levels to decrease!) I do try to avoid surface mount components, for the simple reason that I can no longer see it! In the past, I've built my own radios from a bag of bits and a circuit board.

Recently, though, I've resorted to buying steam outline with ready-fitted, because of all the fiddly little bits it is so easy to dislodge, due to - after a while of fine work, I start to get the 'trembles'. Diesels I can do myself, because they are basically just a box with windows.

Like RDS: I am 64 and  I have fitted decoders to both DCC ready and to older DC Loco's that required hard wiring. I am still a bit nervous and afraid I might destroy something but found that careful preparation (the internet is a wonderful source of instructions) and going slowly when actually doing it, prevents disasters. Equally I initially bought signals ready made but have started to assemble these myself. Pricewise it makes a hell of a difference but again I was initialy too nervous. I have an N-gauge layout so things are really tiny.

I fit plug types and hard wire types. There are somethings in life that some humans find easy, where others fear to tread. Having been trained, like RAF96 at Halton, I'll have a go at anything. Biggest project was to wire a 3,000 connection back plane on a B747 Flight Simulator (in Saudi Arabia in 1985). Out of that total only one (1) wire was wrong. It took 23 hours to do. Oh yes I am now 72.

I have designed and built my own control box to switch the points, change the electro frog polarity and change the signals. Life can be fun with a soldering iron and some components.

...There are somethings in life that some humans find easy, where others fear to tread. Having been trained, like RAF96 at Halton, I'll have a go at anything.

You must have been close to my entry Mike given your age (I was 'resident' Sept 60 - July 63).

Of course we were trained to take on any challenge, providing we kept one hand tied behind our backs or carried a rifle and did it wearing a gas-mask.

Biggest project was to wire a 3,000 connection back plane on a B747 Flight Simulator (in Saudi Arabia in 1985). Out of that total only one (1) wire was wrong. It took 23 hours to do.

Just the sort of thing I would have expected you to do working from a sketch on the back of a Woodbine-packet. You obviously stopped for a NAAFI break then - typical brat, can't work for more than an hour without a wad and a mug of tea. Good job though.

Rob

Yep Rob, 99th, Sept 61 to Jul 64.  Didn't love every minute of Halton but looking back in later years it certainly proved that I could get the job done and the mere mention of Halton opened quite a few doors for me in civvy street. Now well retired and on the reservation. member of local Ex brat association 

Mike

At 78, I am still happy to do either by plugging in or hard wiring the decoder. My main concern is to avoid damage to the fine detail parts when dismantling or re-assembling. I have carried out all the wiring for my DCC OO layout, with no problems. Although I am not a qualified electrician, I still do some electical installation although slightly against to current legislation. I also do PAT testing of any electical goods for a Charity  (after being suitably trained for this), and carry out any repairs that can be economically done.

• 2 months later...

Hi there,

I have so far only purchased DCC ready locos, except for the initial train set which was DCC fitted, and with e-link and railmaster.  I have two older locos in the display cabinet which will need to be hard wired, but as I am now disabled I am waiting untill my wife is more confident with her soldeing!  I am 68, and spent all my working life in electronics so normally hard wiring a decoder would hold no terrors.

John Thompson

All my locos (so far) have been DCC ready so I've only ever had to plug in decoders which I'm happy to do.  Having said that I did buy a 4 pin plug and fitted it to a wired Lenz silver mini+ decoder so i could then plug it into my Peckett instead of using the Hornby decoder which comes with a 4 pin plug

Archived