Hornby R044 and eLink controller

garrettendi

Hi guys,

I'm working towards a full Track-Mat layout, currently up to pack D. I think the full layout has about 8 sets of points when complete, and I'd love when the track is completely laid out, to use surface-mounted point motors (or even just plain motors with the hut to cover it up) along with one Hornby R044 lever per switch (so 8 of them), in a little open box so I have a bit of signalman's console going on, like the real thing.

But I'm confused as to how I would power the switches. Currently I have a the 1amp power supply, and am going to upgrade to the 4amp power supply. However, I see no way from the eLink itself to power the levers. How would I go about powering 8 of these switches?

Thanks!

The way that the R044 switch by Hornby works internally means that it is not 100% compatible for use with a CDU (Capacitor Discharge Unit). This means that all the electrical current needed to operate the point solenoid has to come from the power supply attached to it. Solenoid point motors need a lot of current, typically about 2 to 3 amps, but a 4 amp power supply capability is better. These high currents would normally be generated by the CDU, but as just said the R044 switch has an issue when used with a CDU.

Want to know more about the R044 / CDU issue, then it is explained here on Brian Lambert's web site:

http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/Electrical.html#Motor

So, with a CDU being used in the 'solenoid points' power source discounted, then you need a dedicated separate power supply of between 16 and 20 volts with a current capability not less than 2 amps and preferably 4 amps or better. So even if the eLink DID have an Auxiliary power output, the output spec would not meet the required design criteria.

You will need a separate dedicated power supply for your points. The easiest and cheapest way to source a suitable power supply is to search on ebay for a 19 volt DC Laptop power supply. These are switch mode power supplies which means that they can provide high currents in a small physical package that do not run very hot and are cheap and reliable. Look for one with a 4 amp or better current rating.

The Brian Lambert link above, also shows how to wire up the R044 switches to Hornby point motors with a dedicated power supply.

Note: you don't need 8 times the current from the power supply to operate 8 points. Typically you only operate the points one at a time. Thus, the current available from the power supply can be diverted by the R044 switches to the point motor that actually needs it. The power supply is a shared resource.

Archived