TTS Decoders in a Pannier Tank

garrettendi

Hi all,

I was originally going to use a battery-powered motion-detecting sound solution installed in a carriage to get sound on my layout, but the new TTS Decoders are exactly the same price! More-over, the speakers for something like the A1 & A3 Class TTS Sound Decoder seems quite small.

Could anyone hazard a guess as to whether I could squeeze it into a pannier tank? Or would the lack of room mean the sound simply has no room to reverberate?

Thanks

garrettendi

See the article on my signature link where I have put TTS kit into a 2728 pannier tank.

Speaker facing up the chimney and decoder in the coal hole.

Sacrifice a bit more of the weights and you could put a rectangular speaker in there rather than the 28mm round one.

Rob

• 3 weeks later...

Avoid the traintech capsule, its overpriced, very hard and time consuming to make work properly, and even on max volume with a decent sound enclosure you wont be able to hear it. Plus the chuff sound they chose is a bit naff. You are far better off with TTS sound.

With my dodgy hearing the steam sounds are much the same, apart from acoustic differences due to speaker mounting variances. The various other sounds are appropriate to the loco modelled - whistles, clanks, etcs.

Obviously some TTS locos didn't make it into preservation so I guess those are 'photo-shopped' in the sound studio based on the nearest equivalent, 2-3-4 cylinder, etc.

Diesel engine sounds are modelled on actual prototype sounds as are the additional sounds such as horns, fans and valves, etc.

Archived