Hornby power and signal booster

thomas_patrick

Hi. I have a DCC layout. Within the layout I have an area that will be an MPD eventually but consists of 4 sidings at the moment. this feeds of the main layout via a set of points and is totaly isolated from the main layout. I fitted a Hornby signal and power booster to this area and use a Hornby Elite as my main controller. It is connected to the booster via the Hornby link wire, and the booster has its own power. initially there were no problems but yesterday every loco coming off the main onto the sidings stopped and caused an error message on the elite. on checking, there is no power to any of the sidings fed from the booster and it is showing a flashing green power light. has anyone any ideas what has gone wrong please? I have checked and re-cjked my track an dwiring and can see no faults. the locos run fine on the main.

You are better to use the more direct wiring method shown in Figure 4 of the R8239 manual - see here - as the RJ cable method is a tag along on the RJ cable and not a true Xpressnet signal.

This will prove if its your wiring or the Xpressnet cable side of things.

/media/tinymce_upload/6ee0394fe148128d97558952e7e307da.PNG

You obviously don't need to use track connectors or a Hornby isolating track just soldered connections and IRJs.

I presume you are using the booster purely for convenience of having two separate power districts as it may be that your layout is not large enough to warrant a booster - the rule of thumb is - does it fill both spaces of a double garage or not. Yes - may need a booster. No - no booster required.

Rob

I would go as far as to say, that using a Booster just for four sidings is uneccessary overkill. Save yourself all the hassle and take it out of the equation. Its only four sidings, if it was a fiddle yard with >10 lines (with potentially a loco on each line), then maybe worthwhile doing.

You say "....and is totaly isolated from the main layout". How are you acheiving the isolation ?

Thomas, hi, the rule of thumb for a  power booster , is your layout needs to be bigger than a double garage, brfore it would need/ justify one. I think overkill, here, is exactly right, unless of course, your layout, is huge. john

I have taken all your advice and removed the booster completely.

Forum user Fishy will be really pleased to hear that....... 😆

Sorry Tom, an 'in joke' at Fishy's expense.

Archived