Non recognition of decoder

pcb

I .have recently inserted 1. Digitrax DZ126 and Digitrax 136d into Hornby 'Castle class' and *8F' engines. When I try to allovate a number to these engines,  I get all values at 255 and message saying chip not recognised. Is there any way around this problem. I would rather not have to change decoders. Paul

All values returned as 255 usually means that the controller cannot electrically see the decoder. The error message saying "chip not recognised" is a red herring. Check your decoder physical installation for electrical continuity between wheels and the decoder 'red & black' wires. If it is an electrical continuity issue, then changing the decoder is unlikely to make any difference. If the controller can electrically see the decoder then it can still read CV values even if it is not recognised as being in the Hornby decoder database. It can read them, it just doesn't know what they are. If all values are displaying 255, then (as said above) the controller just can not see the decoder as being present.

Clean your programming track and makes sure all the programming track wiring connections (spring terminals on rear of controller) are clean and secure. My Elite (with RailMaster) went through a period of giving all 255 readings. The wires going into the spring terminals looked visibly clean. I rubbed the wires with a bit of emery paper and refitted them back into the spring terminals. My Elite CV reading has been much improved ever since. Use a thin sliver of emery paper to rub the metallic strips inside the spring terminals.

Based upon your error message description, I take it you are using RailMaster. If so, is it with eLink or Elite ?

If with Elite, then if not already done so, upgrade to firmware 1.43. This new firmware seems to be far more robust at reading CVs than the previous versions.

For wire cleaning emery paper, you can also use fine grade 'wet n dry' used dry. Try and avoid 'sand paper' as it is too coarse and leaves too much sand rubbed off debris behind.

Archived