Digitrax zephyr

Twistedstring

Hi I'm new and was wondering about a digitrax zephyr  ( DCS50 ) the older model

will it work with Hornby decoders or do I have to use digitrax decoders 

I have a flying Scotsman. Railway edition  and a Peckett ...I want to make them dcc and this is the dcc controller that I have , I bought it used and have not used it yet ,I'm new to dcc and I'm just starting in this hobby ....thanks for any help 

Twistedstring, hi, and welcome to the forum.     This being a hornby run forum, we can really only advise on their products. The decoders, should be fine. You will get better informed help with your Digitrax controller from the Model railway forum, (the red one),  when you log on, as opposed to the green one, where many of us are, and all makes of controllers are used.   . john

The link below is for the Digitrax DCS50 online manual. I have used the Control + F (search function) on the document to search for NMRA. The NMRA string is not found in the document. Thus there is no way to say categorically whether the DCS50 is compliant with the NMRA DCC standard. That doesn't mean to say it is not, just that I can't say that it is. If the manual did state compliance with the NMRA standard, that would be an indicator that it would be compatible with the Hornby decoders.

http://www.digitrax.com/static/apps/products/starter-sets/zep/documents/ZephyrManual.pdf

I notice that this controller has been discontinued by Digitrax and replaced by the DCS51. But apart from the change in model number the two controllers look identical. I would be wondering why?

This would be an indicator that the DCS50 doesn't support downloadable firmware upgrades to bring it up to the very latest modern specs. If it was firmware upgradeable, then there would be no realistic reason to duplicate the fascia design with a replacement DCS51.

As has been said by others. This is the Hornby forum, so unless there happens to be a member on here who has practical experience of using what appears to be an obsolete Digitrax controller, then there are unlikely to be anybody on here who can give a definitive answer to your question

Archived