Decoder reset

BR63

Write decimal value 8 to CV8

Note that you won't be able to write to CV8 using a Hornby Select controller, but no issues using RM/eLink or Elite.

In computer terminology, numbers can be decimal, binary, octet or hex to name but four. Decimal numbers are just normal numbers that you and I count in i.e. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 etc.

The only reason I used the "decimal" terminology was to highlight the number 8 as being a NORMAL number as opposed to say for example a hex number. It is the same number as 'value 8' in Rob's reply

Surely, in normal Mathematics you have heard of numbers expressed with 'decimal points'. For example 10.8 the full stop between the 10 and the 8 is the 'decimal point'. Therefore 10.8 (expressed verbally as "ten point eight") is expressing a 'decimal' number. There is nothing more complicated to be read into my reply than that.

Glad the clarity is sorted.

PS - Some controllers allow CV numbers to be entered in binary or hex as well as decimal. Since you didn't state what controller you were using. I made the comment that 8 was 'decimal 8' for the elimination of doubt.

CV8 being 48 on a Hornby R8249 decoder is perfectly normal. CV8 is the CV for defining the decoder 'Manufacturer' and 48 is the value for Hornby - see clickable link below (notice how the document link below has three columns in it, Binary, Hex & Decimal).

http://www.nmra.org/sites/default/files/standards/sandrp/pdf/appendix_a_s-9.2.2.pdf

Writing 8 to CV8 is the procedure for 'resetting' the decoder. It does not actually change the CV8 value. It will still read as value 48 after the reset. CV8 is effectively a 'read only' CV, but it does respond (with a reset) to the act of writing 8 to it. It's just the way the firmware (software) residing in the decoder is written that makes this reset function work.

No issues AFAIK in using GM Prodigy Advance 2

PS - Writing 8 to CV8 to perform a decoder 'Reset'. Is a standard. It is valid for virtually ALL decoder brands, including 'Accessory Decoders' as well as 'Loco Decoders'.

Included just for completeness of information. There is one slight variation on this with regard to Hornby TTS decoders. Writing 8 to CV8 on a TTS decoder will perform a FULL reset. But if you only want to reset the TTS 'Sound' functions, then write 5 to CV8 instead.

Archived