DCC Hornby Windsor Castle & tank engine set

mikejj101

I have aquired from a local carboot sale a Hornby DCC set which includes a model of R1077 4-6-0 Windsor Castle along with an 0-6-0 tank engine.

Both engines appear in the engine list of eLink but when I attempt to read the decoders fitted in these engines I get a message back from eLink that the decoders do not exist in the database. I have managed to write an ID address to the decoders which allows them to run but I cannot get eLink to read the decoders at all. I get messages suggesting why they cannot be read but nothing I do changes the fact that they cannot be read. All my other locos decoders read OK.

The performance of these engines is very erratic. I've tried writing to CV3 & CV4, setting the acceleration/deceleration rates to 005 - not much changes - they both tear away at random times and then at other times hardley move.

Both decoders are small 4 pin devices - well actually it's a 4 socket - the pins are on the loco loom.

To overcome these issues I tried fitting one of the new Hornby Pecket decoders - which believe it or not work a treat. They are the exact same size and pin config. Costing only £12.00 each - it's quite a cheap repair job. They now work fine.

Thought I would post this on here as it may be of interest to anyone else who has the same Windsor Castle loco.

I would have recommended a decoder reset - I.e. Write value 8 to CV8' but you seem to have solved the problem by substitution.

I wonder if the early 4-pin decoders were reworked old stock R8215 dodgy decoders, fit only for the bin.

I would have recommended a decoder reset - I.e. Write value 8 to CV8' but you seem to have solved the problem by substitution.

I wonder if the early 4-pin decoders were reworked old stock R8215 dodgy decoders, fit only for the bin.

I did try writing value 8 to CV8 but that made no difference to the way the decoder worked.

The old decoders are where you suggested they should be !

Cheers

Archived