Those pesky DCC point clips !

Jimbo1707820979

Irritating problem just solved - down to a point clip. A couple of normally very good-running locos were hardly running at all on my outer 4th radius track. Tried various things - track cleaning, inspection, loco wheel cleaning etc. all to no avail.

The track clips (R 8232) seemed to be correctly installed on a set of points but testing with a Gaugemaster track tester showed weak current supply and this was only fixed by sliding one of the clips back and forth a few times with tweezers until I got the brightest light on the track tester.

So I guess maybe dust or slight corrosion causing poor seating of the clip on a Hornby electrofrog turnout. Just goes to show the importance of small details !  Blame the track 9 times out of 10 when locos behave badly. 😛

A very good reason why many of us use a DCC BUS wiring solution with regular soldered track droppers. Completely eliminates the DCC point clip issue as they can be removed and put where they belong........in the bin !!!

... where they belong........in the bin ...

I think that's a bit harsh Chris.  

I relied on them for years without any problems until I installed a DCC Bus which I only fitted because I was electrifying all my points so it seemed the right thing to do, whilist my layout was upside down.

In fact, they are still fitted now, belt and braces I suppose!

Archived