How to Hard Wire a Dcc decoder to loco with a smoke unit

peter_beckett

Hi, Can anyone help me please?

I have recently purchased a Triang Britannia with a Smoke generator. works perfectly. my Question is. is there any wiring diagrams inwhich i can use. I know the main wiring procedures. but what wire do i use for the smoke generator.

thank you

Peter

Hi ,,,,,HORNBY r8249 decoders have a trailing purple wire which I think can be used for the smoke generater ,,also ,I believe that some of the wires on the 8 pin plug are for lights ,smoke generators etc ,,,,the only thing that might be a problem is the current the generator needs to operate is will the decoder be able to provide ,,,I'm sure Chrissaf will put you right on this matter ,,,,mjb

There are more posts on this topic on the forum than you can shake a stick at. Use the forum search function and use the word 'smoke' as your search term.

The main thing to note is that if you use a Hornby branded decoder (except maybe the Sapphire) you will most likely burn it out. Smoke units require a lot of current.

Brian's site below shows how to use a smoke generator with a decoder that does not have a suitable current rating specification.

http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/DCC.html#Units

Alterntaively, and less onerous to install (compared to Brian's relay solution), use a decoder that is designed for operating smoke units directly.

Zimo brand decoders have decoder models (for example the MX630 may be suitable) in the range with smoke compatible function current ratings. In an ideal world you need a decoder with functions rated at 200mA or more. The standard Hornby rating is 100mA.

Zimo Decoder manual. covers multiple decoder models

Research the specifications of the decoders to find one that is suitable. Any four function decoder with an appropriate function current rating will do. And as others have said, use a function wire for the smoke unit. Typically purple or green.

Archived