TTS Sound - same or major difference?

Nictor

Just a question about the TTS Sound decoders due in August. I have a couple of TTS sound locos. King Richard and a Fowler 0-6-0 4F. Basicaly they seem to use the same sounds. I wonder if there is a huge difference in the steam ones or are they all supposed to be different?

Not being a pureist  could I stick an A4 in my 4-4-0 for instance?

As they will not be available until August, nobody will have heard them yet!

Can you put the A4 decoder into the 4-4-0. Well, there's nothing stopping you, but the A4 is a three cylinder engine, and the old 4-4-0 will be a two cyl, so it will sound odd - and it wouldn't have the chime whistle, either!

Then, to my ears, and based on a sample of one, my TTS DoG sounds odd too, compared with a full-range  (ie Loksound) decoder. I'm probably too fussy, but I like the sound and the image to match up, so a loco just moving off from stopped, while the sound is doing 20 mph - just doesn't look right, and likewise, an engine going at 70, with the sound going 25 mph equally looks odd.

TTS and diesels aren't too bad, as there is no visual clash.

I find sound decoders only give an approximation of the real thing (umph wise), but that is true for the whole model railways illusion.

Although the more expensive decoders are better, I find the TTS decoders perfectly adequate.

It would be great if some clever enthusiast could provide a list of TTS decoders with the locos they best match.

I can't say that any of my TTS decoders sound wrong at the low and high speeds, including the DoG.

William

It is a simple job to run up a spreadsheet or paper list of those TTS decoders available and how many cylinders that engine has and compare with your list of locos cylinder count requiring sound. If you don't know the cylinder count then google the loco type.

All I did was group my locos into 2, 3 and 4 cylinder and then best match the available decoder and its whistles to my loco.

I would post my list but it's on a pc 2000 miles away.

Rob

Archived