Which TTS Sound for Bachmann locos?

Mike42

Hello, I have two Bachmann steam locos, a 4-6-0 Manor Class and 4-6-0 Rebuilt Patriot Class.

Which of the new TTS sound decoders would be closest to teh actual sounds of these locs?

Thanks very much for your help

The fowler 2p lms TTS decoder is a good  choice, the bachmann 8 to 21 pin adaptor is only £3.50 and this setup works perfect and fits easy in my bachmann midland compound (Which has tender mounted dcc socket). I also find the fowler 2p decoder is far superior soundwise and control-wise than the A4 and A3 tts decoders so i'll use it in most future conversions. 

Even pre-DCC, you can still fit it by hard wiring it in, then you won't need the adaptor either.  Not that using an adaptor is a problem as 2e0 implies.

Shouldn't you be looking to use a TTS for a loco with the same cylinder configuration as the one you are putting it into?  That way, the chuff rate should be correct.  The fact it's Bachmann is irrelevant in this, only what type of loco it is. There are lots of other threads covering this aspect.  Try a forum search on chuff or chuff rate.

The rebuilt patriots are 3 Cylinder beasties.  So getting a match within the Hornby range might be a bit of a problem at the moment. I know that hornby do both of the green re-built Staniers. However I am unsure if they have done TTS for them yet. Which is the one you will need when available. And i would think hornby will do these in the future as the re-builds have become a Hornby staple over the past decade. So if you can wait I would suggest that you do for now.

As  for your BR standard all BR standards werr 2 cylinders. 

The TTS decoders available for pre-order are:-.........3 cylinder engines - A3, A1, A4 and for 4 cylinder engines - King class, Castle class.........TTS for 2 cylinder engines are fitted in a 2P and a 9F but these may only be available separately when a retailer splits from a fitted model.........Hopefully Hornby will also release these for separate purchase in due course...........HB

I would think if anyone wanted to chip a split chassis rebuilt Stanier the tender would be the best place to fit the chip and speaker.  (As the chassis is a big lump)obviously With wires between the tender/ loco.

Yep though there's some good articles on the problem.  I have a old Bachmann Jubilee which uses the same chassis as the rebuilds which I will have to convert one day

Me too and a Scott as well - something I keep putting off and off and off...!

Archived