Elite failing to read or write CV's..

SamRo11

Latest F/W, failed to read or write CV'a also RJ12 out puts do not seem to  working. I've updated it and reset it, if I use an Elink on same cable it will read and write fine. regards the RJ12 I'm trying to use a booster I've got the cor cable but it does not work, if I connect the booster to track with a good dcc feeds it works fine but I would like to use the ports.

as a controller it works fine stand alone or as a pic interface. Any advise would be ace :-)

Sam

Hi Samro,,,,,,Latest F/W ,,? ,,,,,,Anyway ,I assume you mean the elite won't read / write cv,s and it is connected to the programming track via the programming terminals ? ,,,,,if this is the case the elite only gives very low voltage from the programming terminals therefore everything must be very clean ,but,,this is a common problem with the elite ,basicly the elite programming stops programming ,if you have the e link  then just use that ,,,,,,hope this helps ,,,mjb

OK lets make this clear ...

F/W is firmware - I.e. Elite v1.43 at present.

@mjb The Elite Prog output is full DCC track voltage but low current (200mA max according to NMRA specs) and only seen when the relay has pulled in. I could show you a scope trace but the laptop with the files is off.

@sam Elite RJ (Xpressnet) connections. What are you expecting to see or is it just a feed to the R8239 Booster module. I presume you are connecting your Booster to an isolated power district using the RJ cable to push the DCC signal across, where it is amplified and sent to the second district track. Do not expect this to work at the same time as programming as these circuits and the Boost connections share a common relay, so when one is on the other is off. Again I could show this on the scope trace.

The best way to 'boost' feed a second power district is by way of diagram 4 in the booster manual. This ensures reliable second district contact with the Elite.

As a PIC interface. I would be interested in what you are doing here and how you are doing it as it is possible to kill the Elite Prog output. I won't say by what method at this stage, sufficient to say I have done it.

Rob

Elite RJ (Xpressnet) as you said ive isolated a power area and connected the Elite to a booster via the RJ from a port on the Elite to the "IN" on the booster.

Im not at home so will check I did remember to swap back from the programing terminals!!! as im not 100% shore I did!

I can use the Elink fine for programing as I do it all via pc any way regardless if its Elite or Elink I was worried it may have been connected [faultwise].

F/W is indeed v1.43 :-) 

I have done as per "alternative connection" and it works fine on my test layout, but I would like to cut down on track connections for my main lay out.. whats your opinion on this?

Thanks Sam.

I cannot see why you would be worried about the extra track connection, DCC is designed to run with many of them. They are called loco and accessory decoders and in general each will have its own track connection, the track also just being part of your overall DCC power circuit, along with a bus if you are using one and any separate connections to accessory decoders.

Can you tell us how big your layout is and how many locos you run at once, given you have installed a booster?  The rule of thumb for a booster is you don't need one until your layout fills both car spaces in your double garage.  There are of course a couple of separate reasons for using one.  The first is to have 2 power districts so a short only takes out half the layout and the second to use it to run a reversing loop.

@sam

PIC - I see that was just a typo for PC interface. I thought you were getting into looking at the PIC chips inside the Elite.

The alternative (direct wire track 1 via booster unit to track 2) method is the simplest and most reliable connection method and gets round any interrupts from Programming action. In essence it's just another couple of connections to the district busses, it doesn't have to be to the actual track - presuming you have district busses of course rather than simple power clips to the rails.

Fishy's comment about 'do you actually need a booster' is a fairly universal rule of thumb (double garage size layout).

Leaving your Prog terminals connected is no problem as long as the programming track is totally isolated from the rest of the layout.

Right, checked and I had not connected it to the programing track buy accedent and it still failed to connect to the booster over the xpressnet cable.

However I now have enough of the Track laid and ballasted to try it on the layout proper.

I have as u suggested used a "Bus" system takeing a feed from a junction box to the "in" on the booster, all is well.

The Elite does not seem to read CV's but is working fine as an interface between the PC and Track so im just going to leave it be and use the Elink for codeing.

Thanks Everyone for your thoughts and information.

Archived