Flying Scotsman TTS ,motor wiring diagram

mjb1961

Hi ,,,,My flying Scotsman has had a wire come off the motor somewhere,,,,the loco has been playing up for a little while ,does run,don't run ,,the TTS decoder is working ,I plugged it into gadwall and she ran fine ,I've had the loco body off and discovered a disconnected wire ,I can see the two that go to the pickups ( presumably ) ,I can see one that goes to one side of the capacitor,and then the disconnected one ??.,,,it looks like it has come away from the other side of the capacitor but touching the wire on it causes a short ,,,,so where does it go ? ,,,could anyone advise me on this ,I'm hoping I can fix it myself ,,,would be most grateful ,,,,thankyou mjb

Assuming it really is a capacitor, yellow slightly bulging disk, then it is connected across the 2 motor connections and the wires from the decoder socket (if you can trace them back, presumably via a connecting plug to the decoder in the tender).  I say presumably because sometimes Hornby have used inductors, tubular with a wire from each end, similar to a resistor, in which case they have one end to a motor connection and the other to a motor wire from the decoder.

Anyway, there should be 4 wires coming from the tender via that plug and socket, and if Hornby used the correct colour coding, which they often don't, they should be orange and grey, one to each of the motor connections, and black and red going to pickups each side of the loco.  By looking at the 3 connected and what they are connected to, you should be able to identify the one that's missing.

That capacitor by the way, or inductor or whatever, you can remove it while you are at it.  It's a leftover from DC interference suppression and can't be doing any good, in fact may be doing harm to the DCC signal.

Archived