Select reading consists set up on Elite

oldspotter

I have a need to have 10 consists, ie 10 pairs of matched tank locos. The consist will remain as a permanent pair and not required to run as single locos.

If the individual address for each loco are set up on the Elite using numbers numbers 70 to 90, then set the double headers as per the Elite manual, the double-headers will be 01 to 10.

Can the Select walkabout read these double headers, as the individual single numbers are above 59, and stored in the Elite Command station.

What decoders are you using?

If they are Hornby R8249 decoders then the consists created on the Elite will be simple consists which are only stored in the Elite and not on the decoders themselves, so the Select will only be able to control them by using the basic address of the decoders and not the consist address.

More advanced decoders can have a consist address stored on the decoder itself, in CV 19, which would only be accessible to to the Elite or other more advanced controller but would not be usable on the Select.

In your case of having permanent pairs, i would simply give each loco in the pair the same basic address, so they would both respond to the Elite or Select without needing any consists to be set up.

Thanks Rog.

Just sorting wiring on my layout of Bangor 1950's and planning the timetable as per working timetable of the period. The few current locos have various decorders. The consists are required to fulfill the timetabled trains to Afonwen and Penychain, which changed locos at Bangor.

As you have suggested, single address per pair would still give me 49 addresses for single locos. I will have to refine the loco rosters to the 59 available on the Select.

If you have 49 locos, they fit into the 59 available addresses on Select no problem.  And if you are running 20 of them as consists with a single address, then you will only have 39 addresses to be used so still 20 available for future use.

Archived