Smoke Unit

peter_beckett

Can anyone help? I have a Britannia R259 Triang Locomotive with a smoke unit. my question is I want to convert to dcc. the smoke unit has a RED wire coming out from the end. and a bare wire with a resistor coming from the top of unit. is this wired up correctly, if so what decoder wires do i connect to which.

thank you

Peter Beckett

Peter, this is a duplicate of the question you raised on 5th April 2017. By posting the same question again, you are unlikely to get any answers better than the ones you got last time. If you can't find your previous question and answers. They are here on this clickable link below:

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/how-to-hard-wire-a-dcc-decoder-to-loco-with-a-smoke-unit/?p=1

I suspect that the reason you are not getting many replies is that the risk of damaging your decoder connecting it to a smoke unit is high. Thus others, as am I, are reluctant to make suggestions about what to connect to what. In case your decoder goes up in smoke (excuse the pun). Basically a smoke unit is not polarity sensitive so it doesn't matter what way round it goes electrically, but if connected to a decoder, it must be isolated from the loco chassis and pickups. You will need to use a multi-meter set to resistance (ohms) to confirm this. You should also get a reading using the ohm meter between the smoke unit red wire and bare wire (resistor?). The fact that the bare wire is bare could be an indicator that it is contact with the loco chassis. If there is no reading between the red and bare wire, then that is an indicator that the heating coil in the smoke unit has burnt out. In which case there is no point in continuing further. This maybe the reason you can't get it working.

Assuming that the decoder is capable of supplying the current required for the smoke unit. See responses in your other post regarding decoders. Then the decoder uses the blue wire as the positive return and the appropriate function wire as the switched negative.

Archived