GRESLEY COACH BOGIE - NEM pocket?

Nictor

Looking at the product photo on the Hornby site, there is no obvious sign of a NEM pocket shown on them. However the same item on the Peter's Spares web site, states that some items may be loose in the packet (presumably for user fitting). I suggest contacting 'Peter's Spares' and asking them your question direct.

In these superdetail models the couplings do not attach directly to the bogie, instead there is an NEM pocket on a separate piece that clips into the underframe (and stretches on curves while allowing closer coupling on straight track).  Difficult to describe so see this forum topic for more information:

https://www.hornby.com/us-en/forum/hornby-lner-gresley-coaches-derailing/?p=1/

Are you looking for a bogie to convert the railroad Gresleys to nem or narrow tension lock or do something similar?

If so have you considered LNER Thompson bogies (Bachmann Branchline 36-006A)? As I have never used these, I do not know how the narrow coupling are fitted or even if they are the same wheelbase but they do look similar to gresley bogies.

However, I have used Bachmann Stanier and Bullied bogies to replace the Hornby standard MK1 boigie fitted to the LMS Corronatioin Scot and SR luggage vans repectively using various combinations of nuts bolts and washers. Although this was mainly to improve the appearence of the coach bothy these came with the narrow tension locks but not NEM pockets

• 1 year later...

The conversion was fairly easy you just need to get the right sized bolt to hold the bogie on. However, if I remember correctly you may need some tube to make a bush as the hole in the Bachmann bogie is larger than the one in the Hornby body otherwise they are a bit too sloppy. Unortunately mine are packed away at the moment so cannot tell for sure. You may also need some washers to adjust the height of the coach.

You may need to trim th ebolts and use thin nuts where the bogie is below interior comparments. The old Triang nut and bolt used in their long Mk1s is useful but difficult to get hold of and expensive so it is cheaper to cut down longer bolts

Just to add to the above if you do not know alreay is that a useful tip when shortening bolts is to screw a nut right up to the head then cut the bolt on the side frurthest from the head. Once you have tiedied up the endm unscrew the nut and this should help remove any burrs.

Archived