DCC Newbie

AndyHead78

Hi All,

I finally have the ability to set up my layout, hooray! I have all of the track extension packs to complete the Trakmat layout, with a possibility to expand at a later date. I am very new to railway modelling, and after much thought and reading of threads on this forum over the last couple of years I have decided to go with DCC. I will initially be using the Select controller, with a view to upgrading when financially feasible.

Starting up is fairly daunting and I want to make sure I have everything I need before embarking on this journey. I will be looking to control the 6 points in the layout using the controller. What will I need to purchase in order to wire up the layout enabling me to control points and multiple locos using the Select controller? Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Andy

You are almost there already, Andy.

You just need TWO point control modules - whatever the part number is (someone will leap in with it! I don't use them) - as they control four points each.

Of course, if you are having two points back-to-back as a crossover, they can be configured as one point, as they can switch together on one command.

Andy

I started with the Select and in fact I still use it but as an extra controller now (known as a Walkabout).

I only control mypoints using RailMaster, so I cannot comment on point control from the Select.  It is perfectly possible though, as stated by 2e0dtoeric above.

In terms of controlling multiple Loco's, you don't need anything else.  Your Select will control whatever your Power Supply Unit will cope with, because that will be the limiting factor, although you are limited to the DCC address range you can use (I think it is up to 59 on the Select).  As a guide, the standard Select Power Supply can usually control up to around 4 Loco's which to be honest is probably plenty, unless you have got enough track on your layout to keep them well apart.

Don't hesitate to come back with specific questions.  There is loads of DCC experience on the Forum.

Good Luck!

If any of the 6 points are configured in pairs as a cross-over (creating a route from one oval to the other) then the two points that create that cross-over can share the same 'Accessory Decoder' port, else you will need one Accessory Decoder port per point.

Assuming only Hornby parts (other brands are available and I would suggest thorough research before committing to a purchase) then the only 'Accessory Decoder' Hornby currently make is the R8247 which has 4 ports.

If there is only one cross-over (using 2 points) plus four individual siding points [ this would be the case if you have used the full TrakMat layout with track packs A to F installed ] then you will need 5 Accessory Decoder ports, therefore two R8247s will be required.

You will also need if using the Hornby R8247, solenoid point motors. The R8014 point motor if the point motor is mounted under the baseboard OR the R8243 point motor if mounted on the surface next to the point [ note that surface mounted motors may not have enough mounting space available in all track layout configurations, so do think your choice of point motor through carefully ]. Note that R8014 point motors ideally need to be fitted as the track is being laid, retro fitting AFTER the track is already laid may be problematic as holes are needed in the baseboard directly under the point.

You will also need a pack of DCC Point Clips [ R8232 ] to convert the DC friendly points to those that are DCC friendly. This pack has enough clips for 10 points.

Make sure that you are using a DCC compatible R8241 Power Track or R8242 Power Clip to make your track power connection. The DC Analogue power connections [ R602 & R8206 ] are not compatible with DCC.

Personal view here and others may (probably will) disagree, but in my view the 'Select' is a false economy. It has limited CV functionality compared to the Elite and restrictive DCC addressing for Locos and Accessories. If you could consider PC control, then RailMaster & eLink is significantly better than the Select for about the same price.

If you haven't seen it already, I recommend you have a read of 'Chapter 6' of my "Getting Started with Track Extension Packs.PDF" that is downloadable from the locked post of the same name located at the top of the forum 'General Section'.

I'm with Chris on everything he says above.  I'd just add, if you have a DC power track or power clip, you can convert it to DCC by flipping open the little black plastic box and removing the capacitor inside by clipping it off at its legs. No need to buy new DCC versions.

Archived