Select Controller Loco config problem

Carrotcakbites

I have a problem programming locos onto my Hornby Select unit

1. I press SELECT and LA flashes

2. I press a number.  Very often the unit does not respond and continues to flash LA.  However sometimes it will allow me to select a number.

3. The number flashes, I press SELECT again but the unit ignores me and the number I input continues to flash.

I have two DCC enabled locos.  They both think they are factory default 03 and work perfectly happily with that address.

Any thoughts or ideas?  Or do I have a faulty unit.

Welcome carrot..

...a couple of things will help us to help you.

What is the sequence of numbers on screen when you power up the Select - either 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 or 15 then 30 03. This will allow us to refer to the correct manual pages.

What decoders are in the locos or are they Hornby DCC fitted models in which case they will be Hornby decoders.

I would also,try a reset of the Select per the manual, then try programming again making sure either the Select is connected only to a short length of track or all other locos are removed from your main track.

You seem to be doing things correctly in that:

Press Select to get LA flashing, then enter a number and press Select again, whereupon the red led will flash until then address is accepted. You may need to do this a few times whilst pressing down on the loco to ensure good contact.

Sounds to me that the Select's buttons aren't making a good contact when they​ are pushed.  How old is the Select, has it been well used or just been brought out of storage?

Welcome carrot..

...a couple of things will help us to help you.

What is the sequence of numbers on screen when you power up the Select - either 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 or 15 then 30 03. This will allow us to refer to the correct manual pages.

What decoders are in the locos or are they Hornby DCC fitted models in which case they will be Hornby decoders.

I would also,try a reset of the Select per the manual, then try programming again making sure either the Select is connected only to a short length of track or all other locos are removed from your main track.

You seem to be doing things correctly in that:

Press Select to get LA flashing, then enter a number and press Select again, whereupon the red led will flash until then address is accepted. You may need to do this a few times whilst pressing down on the loco to ensure good contact.

Thanks very much for responding so quickly.  In answer to your questions

1. It displays 15 and 30 then 03 as it powers up.

2.  Both locos are Hornby models.  R2882 Cl 3F Tank SDJR No 24 and R3194 Schools Class. Epsom.

Best Regards, Martin

Hi Carrot, so have you followed the rest of RAF's suggestions?  What happened?

PS.  No need to repeat what RAF said. Use the text box at the bottom of the page and the green Reply button, the blue Quote button is quite useless. 

v1.5 (i.e. 15) is the latest version of the Select firmware so you should download the latest manual from this website manuals page.

Page 9 lists the actions to reprogram a loco which are exactly as we have discussed above.

The loco decoders are likely to be the basic Hornby ones so should be no problem to reprogram. 

I would try a reset of the Select as shown on Page 19 of the manual and try the locos again.

I would also agree with Rog that the buttons can be a bit iffy. I have seen this on my Elite after it came out of long term storage. Exercising them for a few times sorted it.

Rob

RAF96 and Fishmanoz.  Sadly not had the opportunity to try out your suggestions.  But the buttons may well be iffy because the device sometimes refuses to change the loco direction while running.  Do you have some suggestion on how to fix this at all?  Rgds Martin 

Do you have some suggestion on how to fix this at all? 

This is the inside of the Elite but I reckon Select uses the same methodology.

The  selection and number buttons press on metal triangles which bridge contacts on the circuit board. The selection buttons press directly but the numbers have an intermediate hard rubber pad and is probably a lot more compliant and hence has a softer press capability.

I expect there must be some slight corrosion build up if the unit has been out of use for a while, and excercising the buttons will rub this clean over time and use.

Rob

Archived