Adding Sound

debe45

I have a small DCC layout and thought that sound might be interesting.  Do I add a sound decoder to the existing decoder or do I replace the DCC decoder with one containing sound, say TTS?.

This may be a silly question but any and all advice would be much appreciated.  Many thanks in advance.  Regards  DB

@DB.............Assuming you loco has an 8 pin socket you would replace the existing decoder with a suitable Hornby TTS decoder and find a suitably secure position for the speaker...........you can always change the speaker for a small 'sugarcube' speaker if space is limited...........HB

debe45, just to reinforce what HB has said. If you think about it logically, the sound decoder has to replace the normal non sound decoder, so that the sounds the decoder make are synchronised to the loco (motor) movement. Just for balance, there are sound products at the very budget end of the market that are NOT decoders (thus they do indeed supplement the existing decoder). However their sounds are very limited and basic. The normally accepted definition of a sound decoder is a decoder that performs BOTH sound AND motor control.

Archived